• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dave--Another Plow Question?

Dave,

Wondering how easy it is to connect & disconnect the blade? When icefishing I leave my xplorer in a storage shed at the lake. I have very narrow pullout doors on the shed, in fact the tires just barely rub when backing the atv in & out so I'm sure I would never be able to get inside with the blade connected.

Whopper,
All plow systems are connected under the machine, to the plow mounting plate, the same; with two hitch pins. Those are the pins that you slide in a hole and a spring wire fits over the pin on the other side. Then, you have to disconnect the lifting mechanism's winch wire or chain from the front of the plow. Disconnecting takes about one minute. The problem with reconnecting a plow to a machine is when you have to align the plow frame back up into the slots on the mount that's under the machine. It's not really that bad but does take some jostling of the plow to line things back up so the pins slip in the holes.

However, Polaris does make a plow frame (a little more expensive) that connects to only the rear hitch hole, by a single pin. Obviously you still have to attach the front of the plow to your winch or lift handle. This rear hitch pin hookup system eliminates the need to crawl under the middle of the machine to try and align the two hitch pins I mentioned in the other setup above.

I hope I explained that well enough. Look at Polaris' catalog or HSOforum and you'll see what I mean.

Dave, you forgot to tell him about the need to chisel the ice out of those slots before inserting the plow and the pin back in. I found a propane torch to be very useful for this!
I wish I had bought the rear mounted plow, but I doubt it was available in 1993.