• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Super Moon & Shrub Rose

A couple from this week. I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve good moon shots. This is my best one to date. I would have worked on it a bit longer, but the mosquitoes were too thick!

IMG_8493bWR_zps49ff5f32.jpg

I had a meeting at the MN Landscape Arboretum on Monday. Loved the shrub rose garden!

IMG_8505bWR_zpsfac6a245.jpg

on moon pics I have found that I need to use the unsharp mask tool, then I play with the lighten and darken highlights tool in my elements 11. it works pretty slick. so much to learn! smile it's fun editing stuff to get the look that a person wants.

Nice shots! The rose is beautiful. I was a little late getting out. I had a clear early morning two days later so I thought I would try to get a shot of it nearly full as it set over St. Paul. I went out at 3:30 a.m. and took a picture of the moon and then went to Mounds Park in St. Paul hoping it would set over St. Paul. I took some pics of St. Paul while I waited. Then it clouded over and from Mounds Park the moon was south of the city anyway, the zenith would not carry it over the city from my position. I noticed in my picture of the moon the Tycho crater (belly button) is in a different position than yours. Apparently it is due to something called lunar librations do to the inclination of its orbit. What time of night did you take your picture?

full-6648-34633-8872_4381.jpg

This is St. Paul from Mounds Park a little after 4:00. It would have been great to see the moon in the sky above.

full-6648-34634-1080_4408.jpg

I like them both Carolyn!

I don't know about Elements but in Photoshop Unsharp Mask is a tool that was designed for scanned images not digital photos. As a result you will have MUCH better results using Smart Sharpen to “Remove: Lens Blur,” which WAS designed for digital photographs. You will have less chance of haloing if you also sharpen in the luminosity layer. The cool thing about Smart Sharpen is you also have the advanced option of sharping shadows and highlights separate unlike Unsharp Mask which is a single one thing does all sharpen.

Thanks, Dan! I'll have to explore that a little further. June was a crazy month...hopefully I'll get a chance to have a little fun in July! We celebrated our farm's 100th anniversary last weekend, and I had three trips to the Cities three days in a row. I haven't really had time to play in Photoshop this week. I will look and see what Elements has as far as Smart Sharpen.

I took my moon shot at 9:58 pm. The sky was still fairly light yet.

thx for the tips Dan. so much to learn. with my elements the sharpen and mask seem to do about the same thing. with the cs6 it seems the auto sharpen does more. just got the cs6 and trying to learn stuff.