• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Okuma Reels

ETH310

I recently bought an Okuma classic pro xp 452L from the catfish HSOforum that "connects" you with catfish gear. The second time out using the reel, it stopped going into free spool to cast when you move the lever back. Are these reels just junk or did I just get a bad one? I read the connections return policy and it sounds like if its used, I have to go through Okuma to get it repaired/replaced. Anyone ever dealt with their customer service? I figure by the time I send it to Canada, they fix it and send it back, the summer will be half over and I will have sunk another $20-30 in shipping. I'm not sure its worth it if it is just gonna break again. I was thinking about getting a Penn 320 or 330gt2 to replace it. Are these any better? Any other suggestions in the $100 range? Thanks, Ed.

If you can, I would try to figure out what part you need and then order a new part(s).

I've heard mixed reviews on Okuma's CS.

The problem with sub $100 reels is that a lot of them are Chinese junk. Don't take that the wrong way, not all Chinese stuff is junk. With the right amount of quality control, the stuff made in China can be just as good as anything.

It's when these Chinese companies "reverse engineer" something and then sell it for pennies on the dollar. That is when you end up with a bad reel. As for Okuma, I've seen great reels, but also reels that you get exactly what you pay for.

Some of these reels that seem like such a great deal (like 40 or 50 bucks) can be found on chinese trade websites for as little as 10 dollars.

Honestly for baitcasters I would highly recommend sticking with Shimano, Abu, Penn, and Daiwa. I think the premium you pay is worth not hatching out a reel every year.

Thanks Dtro. If I can't get a good reel for under 100, what do I have to spend? Any specific models from the makers you suggested to get the most bang for my buck? Thanks, Ed

I guess before throwing out random models and brands, its important to know how you fish and what you fish for. Mostly channels or Flatheads? Mainly a shore fisherman or from a boat?

My personal opinion is that a reel is only as good as the drag system. The way I fish, a reels only purpose is to pick up slack line and to provide a smooth reliable drag. When it comes to catfishing, gear ratio is irrelevant as I rarely need to reel against a fish, that is what the rod is for.

The common belief is that a lower gear ratio is better and has more power for "winching fish", but after doing this for a while now I don't buy into that theory and might even say just the opposite that I would like to pick up more line faster when fighting a fish.

Remember, we are not tossing Bulldawdgs and Cowgirls all day.

I'm at Cabelas with a Abu Garcia 7000 ic3 in the cart. With my cabelas bucks, its a $100 reel. Hope i'm not making mistake #2, but it seems most people speak highly of Abu.

Abu Garcia are great reels. you will like the 7000C3. I run the 7001I(cabela's doesn't carry this model but c.c. does) and love it. you will be glad you got it plus if it does ever need parts they are easy to get.

sux to hear u had a bad experience with a reel, esp when ur fishing. that's also a reason many of us catters will have backup gear.

"another reason to buy more catfishng gear =D"

but ive own that reel and gave it to a buds who's just gettin into cattin and so far so good. then again he rarely uses it but have had it for a few yrs now

Dtro's right quality control can vary so much when theyre built over sea's, esp with reels under $100.

ive had pretty darn good customer experience with c.c, so i'd probably get ahold of them 1st explain the situation and if possible maybe get it credited towards another reel. . i just pikd up a 7001i Lefthand from them and i think it was $90, cheapest i found anywhere.

penn GT series reels are awesome, just wish they made them lefthand reel

with all that said, i have had many reels well under $100 that have performed well.

i have an old Rhino that still wrks great but the nut that holds the handle is a lil loose

if you wanan give it a try let me know its urs

sux to hear u had a bad experience with a reel, esp when ur fishing. that's also a reason many of us catters will have backup gear.

"another reason to buy more catfishng gear =D"

but ive own that reel and gave it to a buds who's just gettin into cattin and so far so good. then again he rarely uses it but have had it for a few yrs now

Dtro's right quality control can vary so much when theyre built over sea's, esp with reels under $100.

ive had pretty darn good customer experience with c.c, so i'd probably get ahold of them 1st explain the situation and if possible maybe get it credited towards another reel. . i just pikd up a 7001i Lefthand from them and i think it was $90, cheapest i found anywhere.

penn GT series reels are awesome, just wish they made them lefthand reel

with all that said, i have had many reels well under $100 that have performed well.

i have an old Rhino that still wrks great but the nut that holds the handle is a lil loose

if you wanan give it a try let me know its urs

Penn does make a GT in a left hand model. it is the 321GT2. C.C. has it for $99.95 plus shipping.