• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CARPS everywhere!!! but none caught!

Was visiting my family in Wisconsin. The local river has carp running through for breeding. Since this is my first year trying to catch a carp on the fly, I figured this will be my best chance. Carps were everywhere. Saw some large females and a lot of males chasing the females. Eggs were laid in every green weed-like vegetation too. I fished for 1 hr using my newly tied backstabber, wolly buggers, crayfish, prince nymphs, streamers, and random insect-like flies. No takers. I wanted to fish some more, but some kids were on the shore casting near me with huge spoons trying to snag the carps and three other kids were near me bowing carps. Did not want to risk getting hurt.

Any suggestions? I floated, swam and darted flies around and near so many carps, but none took. Tried to sneak around to some, but they just kept on swimming by.

Did accidentally snag two, but they got away quickly.

Tips?

Thanks!

With spawning carp you'll find out in short order that they really have a one track mind. All they're thinking about is getting their groove on, and feeding really goes on the back burner until their done. That's not to say that they don't eat, but it greatly reduces your chances.

The key to carp fishing on the fly is that you want to find a fish that is actively feeding (tailing). They will root around on the bottom of the stream looking for food. This means that when you find a carp that is feeding, you should try to figure out his feeding line, and put the fly around 2' in front of him. Try your best not to move the fly too much, unless he seems disinterested. Then giving it a few short strips isn't a bad idea.

The only other tip that I'll give you is to try to avoid casting to fish that are just "cruising" when their are other feeders in the vicinity. If you spook a carp, chances are high that the others will spook too and then your chances of catching any will be really low.

With spawning carp you'll find out in short order that they really have a one track mind. All they're thinking about is getting their groove on, and feeding really goes on the back burner until their done. That's not to say that they don't eat, but it greatly reduces your chances.

The key to carp fishing on the fly is that you want to find a fish that is actively feeding (tailing). They will root around on the bottom of the stream looking for food. This means that when you find a carp that is feeding, you should try to figure out his feeding line, and put the fly around 2' in front of him. Try your best not to move the fly too much, unless he seems disinterested. Then giving it a few short strips isn't a bad idea.

The only other tip that I'll give you is to try to avoid casting to fish that are just "cruising" when their are other feeders in the vicinity. If you spook a carp, chances are high that the others will spook too and then your chances of catching any will be really low.

Perfect. Thanks! Plan to hit up Nine mile creek for the carp run to see if I can get anything this week.

I think your fly selection sounds decent enough... I tend to use more bugger/tequeely fly for moving water, and backstabber/garbage pile/lil miss patterns in lakes and slackwater.

Of course I end up trying a bit of everything if they aren't eatin right away but that's my general observation.

Which part of WI? I noticed the cottonwoods up around hayward had started to pop... seems the carp like to get it on about the same time.

It's worth mentioning again that carp are incredibly spooky. You can easily spook one fish that will end up spooking the rest of the school.

GOT MY FIRST CARP!!!!!

GOT MY FIRST CARP!!!!!

GOT MY FIRST CARP!!!!!

GOT MY FIRST CARP!!!!!

GOT MY FIRST CARP!!!!!

GOT MY FIRST CARP!!!!!

While waiting for my wife, I headed to the creek nearby her work place in Brooklyn Park. It was about 1-2lbs only, however, it was very exciting being it was my first carp on the fly! Used the same flies as I stated above....no takers. Saw a bunch bubbling around me, but none took. When I was out of ideas and time was running close for me to go, I decided to use one of my pink squirrels that I tied for trout. That was the one fly that worked! Wanted to fish some more, but didn't have any more time.

photo1-4.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

I think your fly selection sounds decent enough... I tend to use more bugger/tequeely fly for moving water, and backstabber/garbage pile/lil miss patterns in lakes and slackwater.

Of course I end up trying a bit of everything if they aren't eatin right away but that's my general observation.

Which part of WI? I noticed the cottonwoods up around hayward had started to pop... seems the carp like to get it on about the same time.

It's worth mentioning again that carp are incredibly spooky. You can easily spook one fish that will end up spooking the rest of the school.

Neenah, WI. 4hrs from STP. About 45mins south of Green Bay. The carps were coming in from Little Lake Butte Des Mortes. Carps are sure easy to spook. Learned my lesson for sure.

Very nice! I'm surprised you got one with the spawn happening. I pretty much don't bother fishing them at that time. Later june-sept seems to be prime time. They get that feed bag on after eating nothing during the spawn and it can be lights out.

Sight fishing tailers is about the best IMO.

OAF are they still on the spawn? I thought they'd be wrappin up soonish?

I hope so anyway... I have friday off and if the wind cooperates was gonna take the yak out to... you know where.

CTL_ALT_DLT, nice work on bustin the carp cherry! Always fun to take a surprise opp to fish, seems like they are some of the most productive days too!

I don't know. I'm guessing it's extending a little bit with the weather.

I haven't been back to the spot for a while. I was in Perham last weekend and will be in Canada this weekend. Like usual, I'm in my early season walleye rut. That will pass and I'll get back into the swing of things.

I want to get out on the Croix, but it seems like right now my weekends are booking faster than they're coming. All in good time I guess.

Very nice! I'm surprised you got one with the spawn happening. I pretty much don't bother fishing them at that time. Later june-sept seems to be prime time. They get that feed bag on after eating nothing during the spawn and it can be lights out.

Sight fishing tailers is about the best IMO.

Here is the video of me catching the carp:

I know it is small, but there is a first for everything. I was satisfied with this one being my first carp on the fly. Excuse the crappy casting too. First year and I am still learning.

Awesome video. A lot of times that is how you will detect strikes if you can't see them eat. Your line will straighten out or twitch and you'll know it's fish on. I love the pure pandemonium the ensues after you set on the fish, it's like that every time!

The first 5 I ever hooked I lost using 5X tippet. That stuff goes in my junk drawer now. It's 3X or larger.

Awesome video. A lot of times that is how you will detect strikes if you can't see them eat. Your line will straighten out or twitch and you'll know it's fish on. I love the pure pandemonium the ensues after you set on the fish, it's like that every time!

The first 5 I ever hooked I lost using 5X tippet. That stuff goes in my junk drawer now. It's 3X or larger.

Thanks for the comment and the tippet information. Learning as I go and I appreciate all the info.