• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trumpeter or tundra swan

Susieq

i'm gonna guess tundras. i'm guessing this picture was taken a few weeks ago. usually tundras are in bigger groups like this.

i can't see your close up picture. but the best way to tell them apart is the yellow mark by the eye. some people say size, but unless they are standing right next to each other, that has never worked for me. trumpeters are bigger than tundras.

This was taken near a field when the snow melted near Manvel. I think April. I thought there was a way to tell the difference by the beak and eyes but they are so similar I can't tell. Who knotted maybe there are some of each.

B. Amish gave some good pointers for identifying trumpeters vs tundra swans.

One other thing that will help, (obviously not from photos), is to learn their

vocalizations....easy to tell apart that way. That being said, I would say these

are likely tundra swans given how many of them are in one spot....(away from Monticello

in the winter anyway...)