• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat batteries

gregens

My starter battery went dead so I need to buy a new one. I bought my trolling motor at the same time, so I'll probably replace both of them. Any suggestions for good battery brands? I would really like to get maintenance free batteries this time. I've had some problems with batteries leaking in the past. I think with batteries you get what you pay for, so I'm willing to spend a little more for a good trolling and starting battery.

I have used Interstate batteries for years and they seem to work OK. I bought a 24v trolling motor this spring and told my marine supplier to put in two new batteries when he installed the motor. He told me he doesn't use Interstate batteries anymore because they hadn't been reliable and I sensed that he had had issues with the batteries and the supplier. My marine guy sells a lot of new(Alumacraft) and used boats and it makes me wonder what is going on. I still have a Interstate starting battery in my boat. It is a 24M XHD 800CCA 1000MCA that is 2 years old. I really trust my marine guy so well see on the new batteries.

Mike

I just bought the Interstate 24M XHD 800CCA 1000MCA with 135 RC reserve capacity. Please check what your motor requires because I was shocked when mine needed 126 RC reserve capacity. I didn't even know starting batteries had different RC's until I started looking this time.

Not a problem this time. The battery I replaced had only 65 RC reserve capacity. I just suggest anyone who is buying a new battery for their boat please check with their motor manufacture because you'll be surprised with the amount of RC reserve capacity needed.

Ottertail, I'm also looking at the 24M-XHD for my starting battery, but am wondering if I should consider the SRM-24 dual purpose start/deep since I run two HDS units and occasional lights, livewell etc. often with the motor off. Both batteries' specs exceed the CCA, MCA and RC for my Yamaha F75.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

KT

I as well just purchased the 24M-XHD, I was thinking hard on the same issue that KTroller is. With 135 RC there is quite a bit of juice there. Since it is my cranker battery I wanted the extra Juice. With my old battery I ran both my livewells, electronics and lights for several hours at a time without running the big motor. I never had an issue. My previous Battery was a Northern battery with the same specs as the 24M-XHD. It lasted me over 7 years and never had an issue.

Determined that I had enough room to squeeze in a group 27 so I went that way. Found a Duralast by Johnson Controls that is a dual purpose. Plenty of CCA, MCA and double the RC (180) than I had before. Hopefully it performs and last well.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...ier=107676_0_0_

Johnson also makes Interstate, so for a hundred bucks I felt it was woth a shot.

KT

If you truly want a great battery and aren't afraid of spending some money get a AGM battery. They are totally sealed, no leaking, no adding water, nothing but charge and use. I bought mine at the C store and will be buying and using them some day when the time comes.

There are a lot of great batteries out there.For many years I've been using Exide batteries in my boat, rv and my truck and cars. I abuse my deep cycles with my charging and storage practices and my Excides last 5 or 6 years before I notice a drop off in charge time. I buy a new boat about every 10 years and have never changed out an Excide starting battery. I've looked at the expensive exotics that some of the outdoor shops sell, but really how many times do you need to get more than a day or two of hard use out of a battery. I also do a value check and are those $300 + batteries going to be sitting in my boat 15 years from now? There are lots of great batteries for under an $100 for deep cycles and $50 to $60 for a starting batteries.

KTroller, I looked at that battery at autozone as well, great battery for the price. I almost bought it, but went with the Interstate 24-XHD instead because of the rave reviews, I will see...

The starter I just turned in was an Exide from Northern Battery that came with my boat, I got almost 8 years out of it, quite impressive I thought. I do always keep my onboard charger plugged and do so after every outing.

My 2 trolling motor batteries are Northstar AGM that I actually won from DualPro back in 2005 in a monthy drawing I was entered in when I bought my 3 bank charger from them. They are still going strong.

Thanks guys! Had a bit of a mess with overflow (I think I must've overfilled the previous one) acid prior to installing the new one but have it all cleaned up and installed now. Also found a loose connection to a breaker so I feel I'm in better shape now and ready for my trip to Canada in a couple weeks.

KT

Interstate for $110 or Exide for $75?

For me I would get the Interstate because I just love the service I get at my Interstate dealer in Superior Wi. Dean and the boys always have the answers to my questions and will give it to me straight wich has saved me a lot of money over the years.

I had what I thought was a battery problem during a tourney one time and called up the shop from the water. They had someone bring me 2 new trolling batteries to the nearest landing. Turned out the batteries were fine but my on board charger was bad. Not many shops I know of will give you that type of service. They charged up my batteries and I got a new on board charger and I was golden.

I switched everything over to Interstates the last couple years. Just picked up a 27-XHD for the starter and have two dual's for the trolling motor. After replacing stuff every two years and running out of power in the middle of the lake I decided to invest in the batteries and haven't been disappointed with the Interstates. To each his own though, there are other good ones out there.