• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Krylon paint finish?

Hey everyone,

So I recently painted a blank with the Krylon spray paint that they sell on mudhol* and was wondering if any one has ever used this before? and if so did you apply any glossy finish to keep it from chipping? It seems to me, even after drying, the paint is still kind of "soft" and would be easy to chip...

I have spray painted blanks in the past. Works OK, never quite gets as hard as normal, but it does take about a week to fully cure and harden, at least the stuff I used and I don't remember what brand.

I never had it chip, but it did scratch a little easier than regular rods. Takes a bit more care.

I did hear around that if you know someone that has a body shop, car paint is lot tougher than your average spray can paint.

after it is fully cured does it still chip pretty easily?

If what you have is the Krylon Fusion paint, it says right on the can that it takes a full 7 days to fully cure and be fully chip resistant. one other tip I got from Gary about painting blanks is to lightly scuff them so the paint bonds better and then wipe them down with denatured alcohol to get the residue off them before you paint them. I tried a sample without scuffing and the paint scratched completely off. I haven't tested it by scuffing first since I found a blank in the color I wanted so I ended up not having to paint one. I may try it with a cheap second grade blank just to see if I can get good results.