• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bill introduced to allow crossbows during Wisconsin archery deer season

DonBo

If someone chooses to use a crossbow, does not bother me at all.

It will not effect my hunting at all but I do hunt all private land.

I highly doubt it will hurt public land hunter either.

Can't say how many times I've found a good spot because I scout early.

Crossbow hunters will scout pre-season also and sit still for the majority of the time, because I can't imagine lugging the extra weight around and try to do a spot / stalk type hunt with a crossbow.

Also public land bowhunters have had to put up with {firearms}squirrel hunters for how long?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather not go from a compound to a xbow unless thats the only way I could continue to hunt. I would qualify for a crossbow but I still use my Mathews.

Yes, the xbow would be like shooting a rifle to some degree but to reload and the loud bang from the shot is less than desirable. They are togh to draw back unless you have a cocking device.

As far as preformance, I would rather use my Mathews again as those bolts simply do not have the same energy at 30 plus yeards. Inside 30 yards, they are awesome.

For me, if Mn decided to have a combined compound and crossbow season, I would be again fine with that as I am sure I could find plenty of land to hunt. At this time, that would not be of any concern to me. For others who hunt a more populated area, it could be that you may have 1 or 2 more around that same area.

I remember when Mn decided to have a ML season and alot of deer hunters were afraid that thier would be reduced licenses and opportunity, I have not seen that to date.

As far as hunting bow during the gun season, I know of numerous guys who do that now with no issues at all with others in the woods. I do it most years in ND when I do not draw a gun tag, still enjoy it just like mid October.

Here's the latest:

Use of Crossbows During the Archery Deer Season

Quote:
The laws concerning the use of crossbows while hunting have not changed from the 2012 season; while hunting under the authority of an archer license, crossbows are only allowed for hunters age 65 or older or for disabled hunters who have a permit to hunt with a crossbow.

If hunting during a firearm season under the authority of a hunting license that allows the use of a firearm, anyone age 10 and older may hunt with a crossbow. For example, a hunter with a gun deer license that is hunting during the gun deer season could legally use a crossbow without needing a disabled permit.

A bill to allow the use of a crossbow by anyone age 10 and older during the archery deer season was passed by the State Assembly during the last session but the State Senate has not yet acted on this bill.

really interesting thread. Not really sure where I stand on it, kind of want to stay away from it but I own a x-bow an its outrageously fun to shoot an hunt. But one thing its not is, its not a 30-06 that shoots arrows. Quite frankly those that shoot compound bows are more accurate than me with my crossbow, unless I shoot from a rest. These things are heavy an with off hand shooting accuracy is diminishes quickly. Energy is lost very rapidly past 40 so an ethical crossbow user who knows his bow is still subjected to pretty much the same distance as the vertical bow. What I find crazy I constantly come across compound users who regularly are practicing out 50-60 yards an say they have no problem shooting at deer at the same distance. Wow really? when did this come about? I got into bow hunting 18 yeas ago for the first time an wouldn't fathom shooting a deer over 25. But as technology advances so did speed, quietness, accuracy an so on. So todays modern vertical VS todays modern Horizontal bows, is there much difference beside the ability to hold on a rest an constantly hit pennies for a grouping. Yes Todays Xbows have the ability to hit 400 fps or more. But in no way is that need for deer or bear any crossbow that's rated from 250 to 300 fps will get the job done nicely. Who's owns the latest greatest Compound bow? what's your FPS? What's your grouping for the dedicated compound user. Be honest, at what distance are you willing to sling an arrow at a deer. 30-40? off hand with a crossbow forget it. at those distances the accuracy really starts to open up due to bob an weave because the heavy front end of the crossbow. Id be willing to bet any one of you dedicated archers here, can kick my butt in accuracy if I'm off hand shooting along side you at 30 yards. You may not believe it but a dedicated xbow user is subjected to pretty much the same distance. an if he use a rest to maximize accuracy, well I'm sorry but I find that a good thing. Accuracy equals more retrieved deer. How many of you archers lost a deer last season? Yes there are crossbow users who get hung up in the myth of the crossbow. bottom line if ya want to kill a deer past 40, use a gun. both side have those that cast a dark cloud over our great sport. If crossbows were introduced into tour archery season, yes there would be an influx of people afield but I have no doubt that would just as quickly diminish an the pawwn shops would be full of crossbows. there not all the user friendly afield, heavy cumbersome, slow to reload, some have cranks that are noisy, I have a pulley system an if adrenaline is pumping or I'm not paying attention I can easily counter balance one side of the string. You guys can re nock a lot quicker and quieter than me. Sorry for being so long winded here but xbows have a place in or out of archery season. we do have enough season the way it is, if some day it goes into archery, I wouldn't worry to much about unless your the walking dead. Happy hunting.

The number of Michigan hunters obtaining crossbow stamps grew from 45,692 in 2009, to 64,340 in 2010, to 74,120 in 2011 and to 88,565 last year. The percentage of Michigan hunters taking part in the archery hunt opting for crossbows increased from 18.6 percent in 2009, to 29.5 percent in 2010 and to 36.8 percent in 2011. 

While the number of deer taken by crossbow hunters during those years rose from 24,882 in 2009, to 38,310 in 2011 and to 54,902 in 2011, the percentage of success remained nearly the same, hovering around 37 percent.

I think it's fair to say MN could have similar results. I'd be against it. We have enough pressure on the MN deer heard already.

That success rate rivals Minnesota gun survival rate. If Minnesota created that season and hunter success and participation was that high there would be season shorten or less doe permits issued to cover this increase in harvest.

Talked to a person who got a handicap permit to shoot deer in Minnesota with a crossbow. He says after about 6 years he quit because he felt guilty.

He was shooting many more deer than he did with the rifle,he said it was so easy and being allowed to hunt during the regular bow hunt he could literally get what he wanted.

I think it's fair to say MN could have similar results. I'd be against it. We have enough pressure on the MN deer heard already.