• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of vegetation do you guys look for when hunting wild asparagus? Anyone have a picture from past years? This is something I'm interested in finding while waiting on morels.

BTW, soil temps south of the cities in the 50's yesterday, should be soon!

A lot of spots around here are grassy road ditches. Get ready to put on some miles and watch the ditches until you see some. End of the season is a good time to go find spots with it being tall and seeding out. Remember the spots for the next season.

I don't know about wild, but I ate the first one fresh out of the garden on Sunday evening, May 5th. Mankato area. I would have enough for meal by now if my kids would stop picking and eating it.

Like someone else mentioned I drive along old country roads and look in the ditches. Unless it is an area that has produced in the past, I look for asparagus that is going to seed and often there are young, good stalks in the same area. It seems to be it tends to be in dry areas more so than damp.

Our garden plants are ready for harvest already. Lots of young ones coming up.

As far as picking planted plants, don't pick the year you plant, or the next year. You can pick for a week or two during the second full season. The following year you can pick a little while longer and in the fifth year you can pick for up to a month. After that its established and you can pick all season.