• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lawn question

JeremyCampbell

I wanted to work more this year on the lawn.The sun frys my grass usually.My soil is kinda rocky and some parts the tree roots are above ground.Crab grass is mostly the covering.Is there something I can do to cheaply regain some healthy grass.Also when Is it's wise to start rakeing it up after winter?

You are going to have to set up a plan where you seed, probably put down some starter fertilizer, keep it moist and then fertilize it at least two more times. Most important fertilizing is the late fall shot. You probably will get some recommendations to gas the whole thing, apply top soil, maybe even sod. It is hard to know what is the right thing to do until you get a soil test. The best thing you can do is to go to a nursery or a feed mill and get their advice and quality products. I would advise against the stuff you see advertised especially the seed with some sort of moisture retaining stuff. Depending on how large an area you can expect to spend maybe upward of $500. Do not put down a crabgrass preventer if you are going to seed.

I wanted to work more this year on the lawn.The sun frys my grass usually.My soil is kinda rocky and some parts the tree roots are above ground.Crab grass is mostly the covering.Is there something I can do to cheaply regain some healthy grass.Also when Is it's wise to start rakeing it up after winter?

Short answer... if it's rocky and tree roots are showing, you're wasting time doing anything cheaply".

If you want healthy grass, you need decent soil, sunlight and water.

As Tom said, you'll need some topsoil, seed the bejeebers out of it and get a quality starter fertilizer.

Once you have that, you need to keep it moist.

Even this only works as long as the ground gets sunlight, and isn't too shaded.