• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heads up on Daiwa Lexa 300

Something to consider when buying a Daiwa Lexa 300HS. I just recently purchased a Daiwa Lexa 300HS and noticed two issues.

The first issue is that this reel will only mount easily on rods that don't have a lip on the reel seat. If the rod has the lip on the reel seat, then the body of the reel will come in contact with it and it will not seat properly without forcing it. You would have to trim away at the reel seat lips to have it sit right.

The second one is, I can't take advantage of the 32.4 inch of line recovery without having the line dragging along the bottom of the frame. The clearance between the lip of the spool and the frame is not much at all compared to some of my other baitcasters, so if the line doesn't lay evenly on the spool, it will drag along the bottom of the frame.

Besides these two issues, this reel is smooth and I was able to chuck a 1.5oz lead 75 yards out on my first outgoing. 8 yard out further than my other baitcaster. It still has yet to backlash so I should be able to get a few more yards out once I have it dialed in. Happy with my purchase, but we need warmer weather.

By the way, how far should you be able to cast a 1.5oz lead out?

Right now, I think the DAIWA LEXA 300HSL-P may be in my future. I am looking for a Lefty power handle reel and there are not a lot out there. If the Curodo 301EJ where ever to come out, that would be high on my list too.

Right now, I think the DAIWA LEXA 300HSL-P may be in my future. I am looking for a Lefty power handle reel and there are not a lot out there. If the Curodo 301EJ where ever to come out, that would be high on my list too.

Maybe look at the Quantum EXO 301 or the Abu Revo Toro 51/61 series.

I guess I am just biased. All my other reels are Curado's or Calcutta's and that's what Im used too. The Lexa just seems more effort to reel in a bait, but they do feel more comfortable in hand. I guess take it for what it's worth.

It's an aluminum frame. I believe the side plates are graphite to save weight, but those don't do anything structural.

Daiwa actually asked the guys over at Thorne Bros what they wanted in a reel. The Lexa was purpose built for this. Def excited to see how it stacks up against a Curado 300. Feels like a great reel.

I've been doing my research on Lexa 300's but most posts are old , when they came out like this one. Now that they have been out for a while is there any opinions. The two issues at the top of this post turn out to be a valid concern?

reel seems to mount on rods with lip on reel seat ok for me. and as far as line dragging on frame, the lexa and curado sure appear to have similar height from foot to frame.

If you are looking for a lefty reel. I recommend the abu garcia revo toro NACL reg or HS 61 for casting ability. I tried the 51 due to a sale price also, weight and not needing all of the line. Same performance in the reel except less casting ability even with it all dialed in. I think it may be due to the spool capacity size.