• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I

Tom7227

There were already ads for the stuff in the paper on Sunday and I heard an ad on the Big AM1500 for some of the green squirters already. Shortly someone will post the question about when it can be put down, I would bet in 2 weeks as soon as the grass starts to show a little.

I am no expert by any means but this is what I have researched and go by. You will get the best results if you wait until the ground temp reaches a certain degree (can't remember what that is- mid 40's?). Then apply the preventer. The reason to wait is the breakdown of the chemical releasing and will only last for X amount of time. If applied too early, it will work but you are letting it breakdown before the soil temp is ready (in essence wasting the chemical). You may have to re-apply for best results. By waiting, you are getting the product effects for a much longer period and not needing to re-apply. Just my .02 worth. Some say wait for the lilacs to bloom.

I am no expert by any means but this is what I have researched and go by. You will get the best results if you wait until the ground temp reaches a certain degree (can't remember what that is- mid 40's?). Then apply the preventer. The reason to wait is the breakdown of the chemical releasing and will only last for X amount of time. If applied too early, it will work but you are letting it breakdown before the soil temp is ready (in essence wasting the chemical). You may have to re-apply for best results. By waiting, you are getting the product effects for a much longer period and not needing to re-apply. Just my .02 worth. Some say wait for the lilacs to bloom.

Sounds about right to me. The longer you wait to put it down before the crabgrass sprouts the better. We will start applying it in a few weeks all the way through May. The customers who end up getting it at the end of May will be better off especially if we get a ton of rain over the next couple months. Chemlawn should be out any day now spraying all the snow Lol.

3 days in a row with ground temps at 55 at sunrise and Crabgrass will start to germinate.

Not yet this year, but I HAVE seen in the past prills in snow banks on yards.

And yes, a rule of thumb is when the Lilacs bloom. However, some Lilacs only bloom every other year, so be aware.

Also, areas along blacktop, foundations and other hard surfaces are going to warm before the middle of the yard. Also, these areas have a tendency to have the most problem with Crabgrass, as these are the same areas usually maintained with a trimmer (weed whacker) and therefore have the least consistency with having the grass 3" or taller.

More Crabgrass seed can settle in these areas, easier.