• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard Motor help

Iambjm

I have a 2005 Lund Rebel 1650 tiller model with a 25HP Merc 2 stroke motor. The motor is fine when I am alone, but 2 people and I can't get it to plane. My husband wants me to upgrade to a 40Hp but being real novices at motors I hate to lay down a good chunk of money for a new motor. I know absolutely zilch about changing pitch, props, etc. And at 66 years old it is getting a bit tiring having to manually tilt the motor. I have no idea what my 2003 Merc motor is worth but I know the ne w ones aren't cheap. Any recommendations? I also like to bsck troll a lot and don't have a very good electric trolling motor. I did buy a 82 lb thrust motorguide tiller model trolling motor 5 years ago, but have never used it. The shaft seems awfully long and I didn't give much thought to it being a 24v. I would have to have 2 batteries to run it right? Plus the thing is too heavy for me to handle putting it on and off all the time. I should mention that the husband is disabled and rarely goes with me.

You see the 25 cant push the boat with two occupants,Personally I'd jump past the 40 and get some more power.Changing out props will be a hit or miss underpowered.

Isnt there a guy who goes by marineman here.Maybe he can help??

I should add the Rebel is rated for up to a 50hp and funds are an issue. I don't do a lot of big water fishing, but it would be nice to fish Mille Lacs, Winnie or Leech without worrying if I have enough power to get back to shore when I need it.

A 40 should get you above 30mph with a boat full of people. I have a 16' that had a 40hp. 3 people in the boat and I'm going 35mph. Blew that motor up and put a 25hp on there. Just me and I can go 22. Add a person and its hard to get on plane. Add some stiff wind and you aren't getting on plane. I'm currently fixing my 40hp for about $1000. Looking forward to electric start and tilt trim.

Have you checked out used 40s? The new 4 strokes are expensive but you should find something in the right price range.Mercs the two strokes are slow out of the hole incomparison to a Johnson/Evinrude.

I have a friend who rebuilds and reparis OMCs I know he has 2 1976 35HP johnsons For 600 bucks each.Their old but here in Mn they dont get many hours and last a long time.Might you be interested?If so I can get him to contact you.He also backs up his work.

You probably have a 13 pitch prop on your 25 now. If so, find a used 11 pitch or someone that has a spare 11 pitch that you could try. The Merc 25's are hard to beat for trolling idle quality and ease of starting but you are pushing a fairly heavy boat for that motor. If by chance you already have an 11 pitch prop on it, than try a 9 pitch. Much cheaper to change a prop vs replacing the motor.

I had a Rebel 16 tiller for many years. When I bought the boat I outfitted it with a 25hp. Like you it worked fine with one or two adults on board but any more than that and it struggled. I added hydrofoils and that helped a little.

I finally got opportunity to upsize to a 40hp (boat was rated for 45hp) and it was the best decision I could have made.

You've gotten some good motor advice. As for the trolling motor, if you have one and never use it then I would sell it. You didn't mention if it's still in the box (new) or used, but that could help defray the cost of changes that you make to your main motor.

To answer your specific question, yes that Motorguide 82lb thrust requires two batteries to provide 24 volts.