• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how big of boat needed to hunt osakis

I've duck hunted Lake Osakis since 1968 and have pulled out two people at different times there. One was a guy (275lbs.) hunting by himself in a 14' Alumacraft fishing boat. He came from town bay and ended up on the east side when my brother spotted him. He was too big to get in my 14' Lund, so we just held on to him and dragged him to our cabin. He had a 25hp motor with electric start and a starting battery in the rear of the boat. He claimed that the wave came over the back of the boat when he was trying to pick up decoys. He lost a Browning A-5 shotgun and was back there looking for that gun without success for the next few weekends.
That lake can go from calm to mega-breaker waves in a heatbeat. So don't go alone, use a deep-V boat at least 14' long and let people know where you are hunting on that lake. Bring a cell phone. Just don't go too far from the boat landing!
Good Luck!

You can hunt Osakis in a small boat (12-14 ft) but the wind needs to be down or stay in the bays. With today's weather/wind forecasting you shouldn't be surprised very often. Two years ago I was out in some stuff that the pucker factor was quite high even in a 16 footer.