• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Trailer Guides

TMF89

What do you think? I do a good amount of fishing solo and with people who aren't too seasoned, and some of this takes place on rivers. So now you guys can see why I'm looking to through some boat guides on my trailer this spring! I'm just wondering what you guys have, how they work, what your favorites are, any particularly poor models? I'm assuming I should try and measure my boat/trailer and the angle, as different guide-ons have different lengths/angles? Thanks for the advice guys!

The best ones I have used I made based off other designs. What made them the best was that they were free (almost). If you don't mind welding right to your trailer it doesn't get much easier, otherwise some U bolts and some square tubing or angle iron metal. I have made the tall 'post' style ones with a pc of angle iron with a simple PVC tube over them so the boat doesn't get scratched and I've also made some of the longer 'bunk' style guides with composite decking material. Both worked just fine. Of course, you'd need access to some metal cutting tools and a welder.

I bought the cabelas' brand for my 14' job boat and bolted them on. After a few trips the bolts/nut would get loose. I had Crystal Welding weld those puppies on and they are great in the river when that back current is wicked. Think Hidden Falls and high water.

I really like mine - they also center the boat for the most part. 2c

I've had 2 Shorelander roller trailers and the 1st one had trailer guides near the rear (not mid-trailer) and they were OK. I bought another boat and trailer (same type of trailer/same company) and decided not to put the guides on the trailer. For me, the trailer guides are a waste of money unless they make you more confident when lining up the boat with the trailer. I fish the Mississippi river and haven't had a lot of problems with wind or current when loading the boat. You will learn to allow for the wind and current when loading. My boat is a 18 footer and I load it by myself most of the time because the wife won't back the trailer or drive the boat onto the trailer!!!

How much they gittin for trailer guides???

Mike

From what I've seen they go from $70-150 give or take. And I have no experience or equipment to weld, and friends around here to help me out, so it looks like it's retail for me. When I do have people to help load it, they aren't experienced with the boat/trailer, so if I have them in the truck the trailer gets backed in too deep/shallow, and if they're in the boat they usually put it on at an angle. Just looking to keep it as simple and user-friendly as possible lol.