• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

synthetic winch rope

leechlake

a few years ago I replaced my kinked up winch cable with a synthetic rope. About a month ago the rope snapped while I was plowing. I just keep retying it when it breaks for plowing purposes but obviously that's just a band aid fix.

My question is regarding replacing it. Is their a type that is best. The odd thing to me is that I can cut the one I have now as easily as a normal poly rope and that seems odd to me. I don't want to go back to a cable type, that thing turned into a mess with it backlashing and turing "in" on the toggle switch to "out" and vice versa.

I would also look at your fairleads for any nicks or burrs that might snag the winch rope.
+1

It is likely due to over lifting your blade.

My old man plows a lot of driveways (15 in fact) with his ATV. Initially he had a steel braided cable and it would snap nearly every day.

He has gone 3 years on the synthetic rope and not ONE failure. He plows those 15 driveways and a lengthy stretch of ice road on the lake near his house. The road is easily 5 miles in length (requires two passes so probably 2.5 miles one way) so it definitely gets its fair share of use.

The straps may be a nice option too since I have heard good things about them, but IMO you have some burrs somewhere as mentioned.

I 2nd the fairleads maybe nicked up because rope has lasted 3+ years and was the best investment I've made. Finally broke my rope and all I did was just tie another knot and I was back up and going within minutes AND the good thing is I didn't donate any blood like the old style cable.

MR