• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it a cough out the mouth or is that snort/cough through the nose as well, the one that seems to go on for awhile? My lab had one like that, seemed to come up once/twice a year, usually in fall. Treated with 2-3 weeks of antibiotics, twice the normal length of time. Figured it may have been something he picked up snorting around in the weeds or a mold allergy.

Still on the feed? lethargic or still playful? If there are other signs besides the cough, see what the other vet says, maybe do some blood work and if all else fails get a referral to the U.

Good Luck

Labby,
I just remembered a buddy had a Golden that picked up a "bug" while swimming in SoDak 2 years ago. Coughed and got progressively worse. He took him to the U and it was a rather strange disease but treatable and the dog survived although it was touch and go. The vet actually presented a paper on the treatment. I tried to get a hold of him to find out exact symptoms and the vets name but he is out for the next week. Since the dog is getting worse and has been on drugs for a week, I would call the U. 612-625-1919. After hours emergency is 625-9711.

[This message has been edited by bigdog (edited 09-26-2003).]

I second going to the U if your local vets can't figure out what is wrong. A couple of years ago my vet was ready to put down my 1.5 year old golden retreiver. He was having problems opening his mouth and got to the point where he couldn't eat dry food anymore. Was so weak I had to carry him around. Local vet said that x rays didn't show anything and that he had a virus that was untreatable. I convinced her to refer me to the U (gets you in much quicker) and after some bloodwork and 30 minutes they told me that it was a rare disease that goldens can get. They put him on steroids and had me feed him super rich canned cat food. Within a week my pal was back to his old self. If I wouldn't have taken him to the U he wouldn't be hunting with me anymore. They are great vets there!

Hope your pooch comes around!
Capt'nJosh

Labby, Second the recomendation on the U of M. Don't worry about offending your vet by going there. My daughter is a vet[specializing in horses] and several times she has hauled sick animals in for clients. They have extremely good people and equipment that regular vet clinics usually don't have. Just don't wait too long. When my daughter was at the U, several animals were brought in that could have been saved had they just gotten them sooner. Good luck.

My 4 year old lab has come up Ill the past week and a half. I visited the vet last week and they put him on some antibiotics. He has a cough in his throat that she said was a viral throat infection that should clear up in a week. That was a week ago. He is getting worse. I have another appt at a differnt vet but I was wondering if any of you other dog owners out there have seen anything like this. It is the hunting season and I have already cancelled my opener trip for ducks to stay with him. Sounds kind of corny but I would sure hate to loose him. Thanks in advandce
Lab

First of all Thanks for the replys and the phone numbers. I have made some calls and I am scheduled to go back to the vet for x rays today. He has gotten much better the past 2 days. He got some of his energy back but the cough is still there without any improvement. The vet said it may be a disease called Blastomytosis. This is a mold they get from inhaling mold spores in the field or water. It is very serious and fatal in about 75% of dogs. I have made some calls and found out we can treat it and is much more succesful if started early on. I am off to the vet hopefully for some good news this time.
Thanks again
Lab