• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Simple and quick hunt

Rippinlip

Any advice on planning a hunt that would be quick and relatively easy to get booked?

My wife and I are planning a out of state next year (2014), but I would like to try to sneak one in this year if I could.

I really don't care on the species either, would be cool to shoot something different.

Thanks

Antelope are a ton of fun. Easy hunt, pretty reasonably priced for a guided hunt if that's what you'te looking for.

I'm headed to MT this fall with a bunch of guys. Really looking fwd to it. PM me for info if interested in my contact. Otherwise I'm sure you could find plenty of outfitters in MT & WY that could hook you up yet this fall.

Turkeys are a lot of fun to hunt in any state. If you've never done it, its a blast and the learning curve is fairly short. OTC tags can be had in Nebraska and Missouri and public land is plentiful. If you are looking to hire a guide there are many.

This can be done spring and fall. We have considered Missouri in the fall for a combo deer/turkey hunt. Fishing is also an easy add in.

SInce you mentioned booking, elk in Colorado is an easy hunt to get, antelope in Montana and Wyoming are also good choices. These are all on my bucket list.

Rip, do you have a particular budget in mind? When you say simple and quick, do you mean with regard to planning it, with regard to doing guided vs. DIY, with regard to how much time you will be gone on the hunt?

If I'm following right the answers above are spot on. For me, the fun factor from low to high would be like this: turkey, antelope, mule deer, elk. Elk hunts in the rut are as good as it gets, IMO. I'd rather do spot and stalk muleys than antelope. I'd rather hunt antelope than turkeys. If you end up hunting turkeys, I have no doubt you'll have a hoot and this is still a great option. There are OTC elk tags in CO and ID and there are left over tags in WY and MT, so getting an elk tag wouldn't be an issue. Hunting screaming bulls during the rut is my favorite thing in the world to do and I'd forget about "simple and quick" and do that. However, that might not fit for you and it's certainly not what you asked about in the first place...

Thanks PS,

I am going to do some research tonight on the Turkey's out of state.

Did not realize the tags were plentiful like that.

Thanks again

Don't even need to go out of state for this option. Tags right here in Minnesota are over the counter for the last 4 time periods. Wisconsin also has tons of left over tags that will go on sale next month.

Scoot,

Thanks and I am looking for the least of planning and budget THIS year.

I have a daughter getting married this year and she picked October for pete's sake.

Wife and I are planning a bigger hunt for next year, I would just like to try a quick and simple out of stater.

Don sent me some great info and we are looking at that for next year.

Really wanted to do a bear hunt this year, but since I have not sent in for a tag in the past, I am assumming my chances are about nil.

I am also looking at some no quota zones, friends trying to figure that out.

I love chasing whitetails around here, but we want/need a change of venue.

Thanks all

Don't even need to go out of state for this option. Tags right here in Minnesota are over the counter for the last 4 time periods. Wisconsin also has tons of left over tags that will go on sale next month.

Wife and I are going to try around here this year with the bows, but I have been bitten soooo bad by the archery bug in the last 5 years I want to try other animals.

Really would like to harvest one with the bow, but I need to figure them out. Thats why I am also looking a guided one for me and the wife or just learn on our own. Thats fun too.

Gotcha, Rip- that makes good sense to me. One word of warning- careful with the "other animals" deal, it can get expensive and all consuming if you aren't careful. Like I mentioned, once a bull elk screams a slobber-filled bugle in your face from inside of 10 yards, you'll never be the same again!!!

Good luck on your hunt and congrats on your daughter getting married!