• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
dan z

green box?

A buddy of mine has one and he is wondering what kind of battery it will take to run the thing all day....

I haven't seen one of those in use for years!! We use to use one in the boat and had it hooked up to a motorcycle battery. It would run all day with no problems. I assume a regular 9 A.H. battery doesn't last very long?

They run on 2 of those big 6 volt lantern batteries, at least mine did. It wouldn't be worth the price of the batteries for performance compared to the cheapest newer units. Great in their day but that was 40 years ago.

This is what I use! A Lowrance fish Lo-K-Tor "green box". I use the Remington rechargable 6v batteries. It reads my bait, is nearly indestructable, and only costed me $25. I just about die every time I see a "great deal" on a vexilar fl-8 for $250. IMO if you want a locator flasher, and dont want to buy a modern one, you have two choices, a Zercom colorpoint (not that cheap at $125-$175) or a green box. I had a newer Lo-K-Tor flp-235 for a while, but it is not sensitive at all, and can only read even big baits a few feet down. My green box can read tiny panfish jigs in 20' of water.

I have a green box that I used for a while. Rewired it to run on a 12 volt Vexilar battery.

The 6 volt lantern batteries are expensive and do not last all that long!

Could not get it to pick up small jigs very well though.

Cliff

Since there is no interference rejection you will see your screen get pretty messed up once you start fishing next to someone else with a flasher. I tried the green box once. Then bought an FL-8 and worked my way up to a LX-5. As mentioned earlier. a regular 12 volt battery will work.

I used a green box back when almost no one was using flashers for icefishing. Worked pretty good until you downsized too much. At the very least you knew what depth the fish were hanging out at.

Thanks guys, he's going to use it and see how bad it is, he's. Pretty. New to the ice fishing scene.

Tight lines