• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shotgun shells & cokes

Well, hunting's done for the year. Shot my last pheasant 3 weeks ago and I'm going through withdrawals already! Took my new shotgun out today and shot some clays to scratch the itch but it just made it worse. Shooting my new gun did get me thinking though.

I've been shooting an 870 my whole life so I've never worried about what kinda shells I put through it, mainly Federals and Kents but ive heard they can be pretty dirty shells. What kinda shells should I be putting through it to prevent filth? I mainly hunt waterfowl, but do hunt pheasants quite a bit too. I might get out after grouse 2-3x a year. Also, what kinda chokes do you all recommend for the kinds of hunting I just listed? I'd love to figure all this out by myself but after spending $1750 on my new toy the boss isn't too interested in me spending another couple hundred testing & ruling out chokes, shells, patterning, etc. thanks!

I have an SX3 and have settled on the Improved modified choke, its in between full and modified. I dont waterfowl hunt though, just pheasant, grouse and a ton of clays.

I shoot winchester universal or super speed for all my clays, and either winchester or remington pheasant loads.

I will not shoot federal. To me there is a noticeable difference in residue.

I believe your gun should have come with at least 3 chokes. Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full. Every new beretta I have bought has come with at least 3. Should be one in the barrel, and then two in clear cases with blue lids, (and of course one empty case)

Beretta's chokes are a little bit tighter than many of the other shotguns. I generally shoot full while shooting trap and then Modified for everything else. I don't use improved cylinder much.