• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Binocs

I got a little bonus that I figured I blow on something I wouldn't normally splurge on and figured I'd get myself a new set of binoculars(along with a few other things). The problem I'm having is that all of my research has been on the internet as there aren't any stores that carry a wide assortment in the price range I'm interested in. I liked the Scheels Paragon ED but with a bright store all binocs look good. My internet research shows that the Zen-Ray ED3 is right up there with the very high end for 1/3 of the price. Anyone have any opinions on either of these or maybe a different suggestion to check out? I figured I'd spend something in that 400-600 range.

Also, I hunt mainly in the woods and some farmland and don't know that I'll make it west to the bigger country. I've got 8 power binocs right now and I'm not sure I'd want to go with the 8 or 10. I think the 10 is probably a bit overkill but it might be nice for 3D shoots. Thoughts?

Well, you can blow a lot of money on binoculars and not get much. I've never heard of the one brand you mention and the Scheels glasses are surely a well known brand just rebranded for them. Stay with the better know brands. And you do NOT need anything more powerful than 8X. Look more for field-of-view and the light gathering ability. In recent years Bushnell has offered some amazingly GOOD glasses at very reasonable prices...sometimes in the $200 and less range.Personally I'm a Ziess guy but you won't reach them with your budget.

Go slowly. Stay away from wierd off-brand stuff. Check bird watching Forums for discussions of good glasses. Get GOOD ones the first time and have them for many years.

Nate, Rod had Zen rays and loves them. They consistently get great reviews and their warranty policy is great as well a their customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to get them at all. In your price range (and mine) they are easily my top choice.

Bout 5 years ago I was looking for some new bino's.

An advertiser on HSO sold numerous brands and he talked me into a set of Zhunmell's.

I had never heard of them, but a few friends have looked through them and were very impressed for a $300 set of bino's. I also believe they have a lifetime warranty.

I also believe alot of bird watchers use them from what I have been told.

Two years ago I was in the same boat and ended up picking up a pair of Vortex binoculars. They are a small company out of Wisconsin. They really compared well and many times beat out some of the bigger name brands out there. After looking through enough of them I realized I was paying for some very nice glass instead of decent glass and the advertising bills of the bigger companies. THis and their warranty is second to none. Give them a look.

Two years ago I was in the same boat and ended up picking up a pair of Vortex binoculars. They are a small company out of Wisconsin. They really compared well and many times beat out some of the bigger name brands out there. After looking through enough of them I realized I was paying for some very nice glass instead of decent glass and the advertising bills of the bigger companies. THis and their warranty is second to none. Give them a look.

+1. I've been looking into glass for a couple years and I keep hearing good things about Vortex. I've looked through several different models of Vortex in your price range and find them to be very good for the price point. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a pair is that I already have a decent set of Nikon's, I want my next glass to be very good, and I'm not in a position to spend freely, and keep thinking maybe I should save up for Zeiss, Leica's or Swaro's (i.e. I have consumer paralysis). In addition to the quality of Vortex, I've heard stories about people accidentally driving over their Vortex binos and Vortex warranted them and provided a brand new pair. I'd love customer service like that from every vendor.