• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wanted.. used 410 for youth

myzee13,

Honestly, if your plan here is to use this .410 as a "starter" type weapon for the child...I would go directly to the size gun you hope the youngster would end-up shooting say at age 16 or older even.
A .410 ga. is a very versatile arm for sure, but unless you see your youngster NOT receiving the shooting sports much in their future, or are a bit skeptical in the direction of "size gun to kid-size" here, I would definitely go with the "end-result gauge" than this smaller gun.
A 20 ga. is a much more efficient gauge shotgun that will accept more game-to-gun challenges put to it regarding hunting styles you wish to pursue. smile.gif

Best of Luck and Be Safe! grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Lund Man,
Thanks for the advice! After sizing quite a few guns for him, we did finally find a 410 for him. I guess I'm kind of partial to that calliber, being that's what I started with. He's a small kid yet, and all the 20's ... even youth models... were a little big. The 410 fits him just rite. He even impressed me shooting it for the fist time!

From your other posts I assume he will be hunting ducks with this gun. I had a very hard time a few years back finding steel for a 410. Just a thought if you havent got him a gun yet. I just got my son a 20 youth model remington and it seems to work well for him. They can grow alot over the summer.

I started off with a 410 for my first gun and it was deadly on grouse and snowshoe rabbits. As far as ducks it should only be used in the hands of an expert shot as it shells do not carry enough bbs in the pattern. I always see bismuth in 410 loads but there pretty spendy. good luck...

What is wrong with starting a kid out with a .410?

I started with one myself.

The idea with young hunters is to promote safety first, shooting second.

It is not important for them to make a kill while in the field, it is however, very important that they learn the basics of hunting and hunting etiquette before they are even allowed to pull the trigger.
As a young hunter, I was not even allowed to have a shell in my gun until I could show that I could sit still, do as I was told, did not swing my unloaded gun out of my "zone" while taking a shot, made sure I never had the saftey off until it was time, always pointed the gun in the air or away from others in the boat while at rest, etc, etc, etc.

Kids love just being out there, playing with and looking at the ducks that the older hunters have shot and living the "adventure" that has been imprinted in their minds about hunting.

So start em off small and move them up to a larger gun when they are ready. Heck, I went from a .410 straight to a 12. grin.gif
Good luck

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail
N.P.A.A. # 841

TOM,
THANKS FOR THE REPLY!
I AGREE, A 410 IS A GREAT STARTER GUN.MY SON NEEDS TO LEARN ALL THE OTHER, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT DETAILS OF HUNTING, THAT YOU MENTIONED PLACED FAR AND ABOVE "THE KILL" BEFORE MOVING UP TO A LARGER GUN. BESIDES, HE HAS TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH THE GUN HE'S USING.
THANKS,
MYZEE13

My daughter just turned 10 and I bought her a Rossi matched pair single shot. It comes with a .410 barrel and also a .22 long rifle barrel. It is small, perfect for a young shooter. It is also very safe, being it's a single shot, with a safety even. Now I'll have to get her out this summer to do some target practicing before grouse season gets here. I've heard people talk about using a .410 for duck hunting. I'm skeptical about this and am wondering is there such thing as .410 steel shot?
I think it would work out OK jumpshooting wild rice or small streams maybe?

bmc

I don't believe you can find steel for the .410, but there is bismuth. Bought a box for my boy last year, and it works pretty well. Awfully spendy - about a buck a round, but when the kid dumped a goose with a head shot at about 20 yards I forgot all about the cost.
The bismuth shells are tough to find, so start early.