• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taping a reel to the rod...

FLAG!!

I use electrical tape. I've just taped directly to the cork and it does bring a few small cork chunks back if you remove it. Also leaves some black tacky residu. I like the idea of pre wrapping with masking tape first. I should also try out some of that tape that only sticks to itself - seems like that could be a winner too.

I haven't bought a rod in years that has those plastic or metal rings on the handle but I would take those off if you can.

Tucker

The shrink tubing is not bulky at all. In fact, I like the smoother feel of it than the electrical tape I used before. Unfortunately, this was my first attempt and so the jury is out on how well it works. It seems tight enough and should work fine but time will tell.

I have heat shrink on my ultra light reel for open water. Works great...have even pulled in a couple eyes and large mouths with it.

I use heat shrink, factory reel seats, or Cold Snap reel bands (not a big fan).

I have been using the tommy tape/silicone tape and find it works much better than electrical tape. The only down side I have seen from it is that if you don't get it tight enough you can feel the reel flexing away from the handle when you have a larger fish on. For those of you using the castrating bands, do you notice the reel flexing off of the handle? After my last trip to lake of the woods I swore I was going to put on small zip ties to keep the reel solidly attached to the handle.