• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Fish Pro Tip Up.

This looks to be a nice alternative to using your standard tip up. It allows you to fight the fish using your rod and reel. I just got a couple today and am going to try them out tomorrow in the BWCA for lake trout. It will be nice to fight the fish on a rod and reel vs. messing around with bringing them in hand over hand.

full-21032-28592-cut_outwithrodandlogo.j

is it spring loaded? if it is I'm pretty sure its not legal in MN. there is another similar unit, it is not spring loaded but CO's have stated they are not legal. Check before using, it could save you a bit of money.

is it spring loaded? if it is I'm pretty sure its not legal in MN. there is another similar unit, it is not spring loaded but CO's have stated they are not legal. Check before using, it could save you a bit of money.

These are NOT spring loaded and ARE legal in MN.

These tip-ups are designed by a MN company.

They are okay, for what they are. I have a couple. The issues I face is they are bulky and difficult to transport. If they made an 8 inch model that fit better in a bucket a guy could stack/ store them easier.

Another thing you're going to want to do is epoxy the clip shut and slip your line through it like an eyelet. When the fish hits it pulls the clip under water, and if it's not attached properly, it will float away under the ice.

Another issue I face is keeping the bail open. On a windy day, line tends to whip out easily and get caught on the ice. This year I am going to try placing rubber bands around my rod base; then pinch my line from the reel; and slip the line into the very last strand of the rubber band. The concept is when a fish hits, it will deploy the line from the rubber band; thus allowing it to free spool without dealing with the wind.

I've caught a lot of fish on mine.