• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp Alive Minnows

eyeguy 54

Spent quite a bit of time talking to Ted Takasaki at last years Sportman's show and one of the things he and I discussed was the successful use of artificial baits when targeting toothy critters. To make a very long story short he explained that Davey Jones isn't by any means guna hand them over easily but stated that at the right time, under the right conditions baits like the Gulp minnows can be deadly. He likes fishing them on slick jigs after removing the head so that the bait fits flush against the jig. Now of course I asked if he were using this technique on the smaller, harder hit metro lakes that don't seem to hold the fish populations of say a LOW or Mille Lacs. AND... he wouldn't tell me. LOL At any rate I think that a jar of Gulp live might not be a bad idea. In the event of some kind of mishap to your live minnows having those can at least keeps you fishing. I keep one for that reason alone. Between my dog and my son, my minnows just don't seem to last as long anymore. Hope this helps and good luck fishing out there.

eyeguy,

3" Gulp Alive Emerald Shiner on a Red Glow 3/16 Lindy Foo Flyer makes for a good presentation that catches active 'eyes. Tried and tested on Red Lake. Have not tried it on LOTW....yet. Headed that way mid Jan.

For crappies, I don't even buy live minnows anymore. The minnow heads are just plain awesome and all you need, and no more messing with freezing minnow buckets. I mix and match so all I have is one jar to bring, but it has three colors of minnow heads, a couple colors of fry, and a couple colors of maggots. Works great, but the smelt (?, the black and white) minnow heads work the best for me, the all red work the worst.

You don't have to re-bait that often either, unless sunnies are biting, then their little teeth cut them up more than crappies.

Good luck!