• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food items for LOW Sleeper-Need Ideas fast!

Whateverzbitin

Heading up to Lyon's sleepers out of Baudette in a few days. As I suspect is normally the case with sleepers we have gas for heat, cooking, and lights. I would love some help on ideas for good sleeper food. Of course packing light is good. Easy is good too. I know they say we have a weight limit of 60 pounds per person. Some in our group will have far less, so I may be OK, but I plan to bring a good amount of equipment up. Any tips on food, or other advice for a first timer would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob

Lyon Sleepers have a stove/oven combo in the houses and a couple cast irons fry pans plus other misc. pots and pans so you don't need alot of extra cooking equipment. We usually have a big breakfast in the morning, then a big meal again in the evening. Did a Prime Rib last year...

Pre made stuff is a good Idea, we usally do sloppy joes they are easy to heat up.

If you have a stove you can always bring up a bunch of pizza's.

Plan on a fish fry.

Have a good time and lets us know how you do.

Sifty

If you have an oven some of the things like Lasagna and garlic bread in the frozen section work well and easy clean up. Dinty moore stew and bread bowls or chili,brats,spam etc. bread and cheese and butter will make grilled cheese sandwiches and you can add a piece of spam to it. Mac and cheese. Take a trip to the grocery store and stroll the boxed,canned and frozen isles. lunchmeat and cheese and crackers are also good snacks

When we hit up the sleeper houses up on LOW, we always bring some frozen pizzas, stuff for hot ham and cheese sandwiches, and also brown up a couple lbs of hamburger and bring small bags of dorito's for making taco in a bag. All stuff that is super easy to prepare and easy clean up. We'll also bring some eggs and cheese for making omelets in a bag. Crack eggs into a ziplock, add the fixings, boil water and float the bags in the water.

When we hit up the sleeper houses up on LOW, we always bring some frozen pizzas, stuff for hot ham and cheese sandwiches, and also brown up a couple lbs of hamburger and bring small bags of dorito's for making taco in a bag. All stuff that is super easy to prepare and easy clean up. We'll also bring some eggs and cheese for making omelets in a bag. Crack eggs into a ziplock, add the fixings, boil water and float the bags in the water.

Just make sure you don't buy the cheap ziplock bags get the freezer ones. wink

Sifty

Depending on your group, either do quick and easy such as a stack of your favorite frozen pizzas and snacks, or prepare some stuff ahead of time. As others have suggested, you can make chili, sloppy joes, lasagna, stews, hotdish, goulash, or anything else ahead of time so that all you have to do is pop it in the oven to cook/reheat. It all depends on the type of eaters you have and their expectations.

Eggs in a bag is always good for breakfast at your own pace. As someone said, use freezer ziplocks. Break some eggs into a bag along with anything else such as bacon, ham, onions - but don't do mushrooms. They will turn your eggs brown! Then squeeze the bags to mix the ingredients and then refrigerate. Put the bags in some simmering water and you'll have some delicious egg breakfasts.

I know this doesnt help you at all since you need the info quickly, but man we had great meals when we went up to arnesons last year. My uncle went out elk hunting and got a hold of a lady, i believe in st cloud that pre-cooks meals and freezes them. They are make to heat up on a dual burner coleman propane stove but we cooked them in the stove. They are frozen in the aluminum tins. She makes things like turkey,mash potatoes, and gravy and stuffed pork chops and wild rice, and other things. I think the cost was like 15-20 bucks per meal but it feeds 4 guys and all 4 of us ate a ton of food each meal. I have not dog in the fight, it was a random lady so im not trying to get her business. I will ask my uncle for her info so I can get it to anyone who may want this in the future. You literally put it in the oven, or on the coleman and forget about it till it is heated up.

I like to prebake a bag of potatoes before going this will add weight but their the best hashbrowns on the planest in a sleeper. peel off the skin just before cooking an brown in pans add egg cheese onio, ect... an wrap up in a tortilla.