• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kt british labs

SAX

I am looking into buying a pup from KT british labs out of Elbow lake MN. Does anyone have any experience with his dogs or feedback they could share in regard to his dogs or kennel?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Looks like your pm is full, Kims a good friend of mine, and has a good thing going with his pups. I like the British dogs just not a big fan of the Marketing that goes along with it, I feel a lab is a lab and it makes no difference what side of the pond they come from. A trained dog is a trained dog. And a talented dog is a talented dog. period. Doesn't matter what side of the pond they came from and certainly doesn't matter what color they are. Look for a puppy with proven parents, with health clearences and a proven track record, and you'll most likely end up with a nice healthy hunting companion for years to come....

Todd is absolutely correct. Some like the fact the BritLabs are smaller and more blocky. I have been around a few of them and they have been "soft" and gentle dogs and a refreshing change from the 48" high shouldered 135-pound monster "Labradors" that could tow a manure wagon.

The downside of the B.Labs is the goofy marketing that has been used from the begining.

As Mr. C said, a well trained, healthy and well behaved dog is the goal.

Then too, I have heard it said that to gun over BLabs one must wear tweeds and carry a vintage Purdy 20.

But that may be hype.

I pretty much look almost every day at new litter listings ( mostly American FT breedings) not that I'm looking for a new pup but mostly just to see whats out there and who is being bred. In the FT game I honestly don't see alot of really big dogs, granted there are a few big boys out there but not many. OUR FT dogs for the most part run 65 to 80 pounds for males and 50 to 70 for females. Iv'e got a little 2 year old dam that is around 45 pounds, a little pocket rocket, by far the most athletic dog I have ever owned. And a 2 1/2 year old 65 pound male that is very athletic as well. Both have excellent line, blind and house manners.

I have seen poor line, blind, and house manners in both American and British dogs. Guess what alot of it has to do with the training, or lack of. But I will also say that we have had a few American FT dogs that would be too much for the average guy to handle. But I also don't like a dog that is too soft either, a really soft dog can be just as hard to train as a firebreather. Bottom line spend some time and do your homework..

Well, I don't get to look at that many litters and of course am not up on who is doing what but I am very pleased to hear that we are moving away from the "magnum" sized Labradors that are atypical for the breed.

But I'm just an old LAb guy and what I think today really doesn't matter much to the new guys anyway. LOL

Like I said I just look every day to see who's being bred, I get alot of people asking about litters and puppys so I check every day. I don't like big dogs for FT, HT or gun dogs. I think a averrage sized dog will last longer in the field and last longer on FT/HT circut..

I agree. And I would take your advice any day about where to look for a puppy.

I've never had a "bad" Lab puppy but the little lady I have now CAN be trying at times. But she is PLENTY smart.She is a totally CUTE shiny little black devil and is going to be a marvelous dog. If I last long enough!

Thanks for the reply Todd. I was out of town for the last few days. If you have anything else you want to let me know you can shoot me a PM. I just cleared my messages. I am heading up to see Kim next weekend and check out some pups on the ground. Got any advice on picking a pup if I eventually decide to?

A little late to the party but I've had my KT British Lab for 8 and 1/2 years. Very happy with my dealings with Kim. I have a dog I couldn't be happier with that I spent the time training. I used the a British method of training, (no e-collar) and can vouch for the gentle disposition. Doesn't change the fact this is an enthusiastic hunting dog! At his age he is beginning to slow a bit but still a joy to hunt. Wonderful family pet as well.

I won't get into the debate about British Labs vs American but if you ever get the chance to attend Dennis Anderson's seminar on British Labs at the Game Fair I would encourage you to do so. Some very good insights on the history of both labs.