• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging for Northerns - Need Advice

blackdog1101

I've tried numerous times over the years to jig for northerns, but have never caught one. I've tried in the same places I've caught northerns on tip ups, so I know the fish are there. I've tried Lindy & Salmo darters, jigging Rapalas, and various spoons tipped with fatheads. Do you have any advice? Do you bait your Lindy & Salmo darters? Any help is much appreciated!

When ive fished shallow water for perch or panfish with a jig id notice northerns would suck it in and spit it out before i could set the hook. I changed to a hook and caught the two i could see down there instantly. So now if the jig doesnt work thats what i switch to.

I agree with JackPineGuy...Buckshot Rattle Spoons work great for us. Usually tipped with a a minnowhead seems to be most effective. In addition to that, just this past weekend I caught a number of Pike on a small bronze colored Live Target Gizzard Shad. I find the noisier the lure, the better it is for Pike. Just remember to jig aggressively until you start marking fish on your flasher and then slow down and fine tune your presentation. It is always a good sign when you see your flasher light up like a Christmas tree with perch and they all take off in a hurry...get ready to set the hook and hold on!

It never hurts to be in close proximity to a weed edge either as Pike will cruise this area throughout the day.

Good Luck,

shawno

I agree with JackPineGuy...Buckshot Rattle Spoons work great for us. Usually tipped with a a minnowhead seems to be most effective. In addition to that, just this past weekend I caught a number of Pike on a small bronze colored Live Target Gizzard Shad. I find the noisier the lure, the better it is for Pike. Just remember to jig aggressively until you start marking fish on your flasher and then slow down and fine tune your presentation. It is always a good sign when you see your flasher light up like a Christmas tree with perch and they all take off in a hurry...get ready to set the hook and hold on!

It never hurts to be in close proximity to a weed edge either as Pike will cruise this area throughout the day.

Good Luck,

shawno

Absolutely!!! Also i forgot to mention Do-Jiggers. there a phenomenal spoon. I dont think they make one with rattles but they might.

I love jigging for pike on early ice but you do have to plan a bit to get it to work reliably. Where you fish is far more important than the tackle, and you need to be sure there are plenty of pike in the water you target. First, use the DNR Lakefinder site and read the surveys. That will tell you if there is a good population in the lake. Locate an area with a large expanse of 3'-10' deep water and an adjacent drop off/weedline. I like to fish in the morning hours, from first light to about 10:00 and then head home to do other stuff. You will get most fish in the 2 hours of light. Next, "bracket your attack" by drilling 6 to 12 holes spread out in shallow, deep and weedline areas, and move from hole to hole. Don't sit in a house, and be sure as you move about to be quiet, especially in shallow water.

For tackle, use a rod with some backbone to be able to set the hook, and be ready to nail the fish on the upstroke since often they will have grabbed the lure on the drop (you won't feel that pickup). The lures discussed above all work, and be sure to keep them tipped with 1/2 a minnow. Have fun giving it a try and maybe I'll see you on the ice tomorrow morning!

sometimes you need to think outside the box as well. I frequently catch nice pike in the same haunts as panfish in the basin, and sometimes even after dark. So you just never know. And often I catch pike with crappie lures and small spikes. So my advice, like others have said is to be on a lake with a good population of pike, large and small. good luck