• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shrinkage

I need some advice as to why my elk brats shrunk after cooking. They went from 6-7 inches down to 3-4. The casing never split and they didn't get dried out, but they shrunk like a frightened turtle. I have been making my own brats for 5 years or so and have never had this happen. Is it the casings? Not stuffed correctly? Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Casings cant possibly shrink that much and not break if the content inside didnt reduce a LOT.

Possibly you didnt stuff the casings nearly with enough meat?

What did you use for a meat mix? 50/50 Elk and pork for example?

I have never had brats shrink anything more than maybe 10% after cooking.

I was hoping some of you would get the Seinfeld reference grin

In all honesty, they shrunk by 50% if not more and the casings did not split and were not loose. Strangest thing I've come across in my sausage making history.

The mix was 50/50 elk/pork. Ground 3 times (separate, together and then when they went into the casing) and I broke some casings as I was stuffing them so I think I had them pretty full. I've cooked them 2 different ways, once on the smoker and then once on the grill (after being boiled). I should've taken pictures, but I will take some this weekend when we cook some more.