• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Near Chicago

I live in Chicago and I have never been ice fishing, although I have recently become very intrigued. I currently live in Minnesota and I have heard a lot about it as it is a popular hobby here in the winter. I'd never heard of it before and I want to try it out with my family during the holidays. There are no good places in the city or the surrounding suburbs to go ice fishing, but I'm sure there are many popular destinations in Wisconsin. Does anyone mind sharing their favorite ice fishing locations in the Minnesota-Wisconsin-Illinois-Indiana region?

Well you seem to have out lined a pretty big region for people to try and give you some advice for. You say that you live in Chicago and also state that you currently live in Minnesota? Maybe you can give a little closer info on where you will be staying with your family for the Holidays and people can try and give you a little more detail to the area lakes you will be near.

It also sounds by one of your other posts "Great Danes as Hunters/Scouts" That you are trying to learn some things about hunting as well? You have come to the right hunting and fishing site to help you learn all that you will need to know about both. Good luck! wink

Lake Geneva in SE Wisconsin. Loaded with big bluegills. Go to downtown Lake Geneva and go out from the Library. You'll see all the people out from the park. Streets are metered so drop off your stuff in the park and park off of HWY 50 on the side streets. Lots of fun. The water is crystal clear though so use 2 lb or 1 lb line. White jigs with a spike(maggot) will outfish a waxie in this spot both for size and numbers. After dark is just as fun with all the rockbass out there. Just keep pounding your jig to attract them. 12"ers have been pulled from this spot! 100 fish days not uncommon.