• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pop up or 2 man flip over?

mrpike1973

hi right now i have a eskimo qf3 pop up i like it except when its windy and the ice anchors are good but a pain. i have a 1 man flip over for my self works great. i thought about getting a 2 man flip over for me and the wife. we dont go out together alot but some except for the added weight of a flip over what would the pros and cons be

I think the flip ups are better for setting up and for changing locations. They seem to have less breakage/reliability issues as well.

I have the command post thermal and have fished 5 people comfortably. I slept in it overnight on a cot with my gf and it was comfortable enough heat wise.

I love my flip-over since i can pack everything in it and pull it myself. I have a 3 person eskimo and the weight is not too bad. I pull it all over myself plenty, a 2 person should be no problem for ya. Just my two cents but i would lean toward the flip over.

i like flip overs better to. if you can transport it with no problem i think it is the better choice. but they can still move on ya if you get out of the seat and your in the wind if you dont anchor it.just takes more wind

I had a flip over, now have a hub style. I would go back to a flip over in a heart beat. Much faster to fish out of. easier to throw everything in and go. But the hub style was nice because of the room, and i like to fish with a friend, but now all my friends have moved :(:( so i will be on my own. Also in a 35 mph wind setting up a hub is pretty tough.. not impossible... but pretty tough.

I use a "2 man" flip over for myself (Clam Nanook). I don't find it hard to pull at all and it's big enough to load all my gear, etc. Very easy and quick to set up and usually stays fine without anchors even in the wind as long as my big butt is planted on the seat. wink If it's really windy and I want to walk away from the house (tip up flag, etc) I just flip it down so it's flat. Most days with average wind though I don't have to do that. I mostly walk and find this to be the best setup for me. The only con I suppose is that it doesn't break down as small as a pop up so you would need something big enough to fit the sled portion of the house in your vehicle, trailer, etc. It fits fine in the back of my mini van with the stow and go seats dropped down.

2 man flip over. I can drill holes and start fishing in about 5 minutes, then I can move to another spot by simply flipping it back and pulling it to a new spot and be fishing in 5 minutes.

I've had the pop up style and it is a bear to setup in the wind, enough said...

As said, they both have their purpose with both positive and negative features.

The flip-over is optimal if you plan on run and gun fishing... Drill holes, flip-over, and fish. However, for me at 6'1" tall, even in the biggest ones my head is touching the ceiling. I put up with it just for ease of mobility.

Pop-ups set up pretty quick(I can have mine out of the bag and set up in less than a minute), but having to put the ice anchors in can be a chore. I've got the drill attachment for the Clam anchors and it's still tough. Just today, I went and bought some Eskimo anchors; I think they bite into the ice way quicker. I plan on buying a big socket and cutting slots in it to use with my drill. It can be a challenge to set up a hub style in wind; but if you anchor the two corners on the windward side first, then pop up and tie the one side down it works all right. My hub is 7' tall in the middle, so I can stand up and stretch during a long day.

If you are planning on moving a lot, get a flip-over. If you know a good spot and are planning on staying put, go with a pop-up.