• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mahi Mahi

toddb

Just got back from Cabo and we were lucky enough to get into a bunch of Dorado. Brought about 15# back and am wondering if anyone has a unique recipe for this type of fish? Had it several ways down there including deep fried, teriyaki, grilled, coconut, blackened, and with a vodka sauce. Thanks in advance.

Get a pan nice and hot, pour in a little olive oil, salt and pepper both sides and put the fish in. Cook on both sides to a nice sear and lower the heat and finish it.

It works on everything and is very good. I do this for fish tacos and it's fantastic!

easy way to grill them and they taste great!

Melt some butter and baste both sides of the fillet.

Sprinle Lawrys, crushed black pepper and Garlic powder on the fillet

lay on foil or oil the grates of the grill well

grill 3-5 minutes (depending on thickness) flip and grill an additional 2-4 minutes.

Squeeze fresh lime (or lemon if you prefer) over fillets 30 seconds before removing from grill.

Serve with lime/cilatro rice. Little fresh Mango chutney if you wish also... MMMM mMM

Good Luck!

Ken

You're a lucky guy to have some some good fish in the freezer. Too good for "fish tacos" IMO. I believe good fish deserves a good simple recipe so as not to lose the flavor of the fish.

I'd just grill it if it were me. Mix some mayo and mustard together (I know, it sounds gross, but it keeps the fish from sticking to the grill and does not impart the taste of either into the fish) brush it liberally on both sides and grill. As always, don't overcook.

You could also try the cedar plank trick. One of my favorite ways to cook fish on the grill. Soak a cedar plank in water for an hour or so. Brush the fish with olive oil, set on plank over coals or flame. Fish will steam and smoke on the plank. Keep a spray bottle of water on hand in case the plank catches fire. Awesome!

With both methods, add lemon or lime slices on top of fish, or drizzle juice over the fish. A little lemon pepper and there ya go.

Dip the filets in coconut milk. Finely chop or dice up about 8 oz of macedamian nuts and mix the nuts with about a quarter stick of melted butter. Do a shake and bake with the fillets in the nut and butter mix. Bake until done. Crispy and delicious.