• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on Coyote Hunting.

I am going to give predator hunting a try next weekend and I have a few questions.

No one that I know of Predator hunts in the area I am going to try and there are an abundance of Coyotes.

Here are my questions:

I am going to buy a call....should I buy a good one right away or can I get by with a cheaper version. I could try a mouth call but where I would rather not educate them doing a poor job with a mouth call. What are some suggestions on calls. I am ok spending some money as long as the call will last.

Where I am hunting is for the most part wooded with some fields. Do you set up on field edges with the wind at your back?

Does it pay to try to do this during the day? Is after dark the best bet to have success? Is the day time a waste of time?

I will be bring some family with me to give this a try. They have rifles for it....I am planning on using my shotgun. What should I use for load?

Any help would be appreciated and please feel free to offer suggestions that I did not ask questions on. Thank you!

Oberg

1 - I'd start with either mouth calls or a Foxpro spitfire or wildfire.

2 - You'll want the wind in your face no matter what you're doing. Try to set up in places where they have a hard time getting down wind of you.

3 - Daytime is usually pointless in central Minnesota, try it in the mornings and evenings. I only hunt after dark (10pm-2am) on full moon weeks.

4 - Don't bring more than one person along. The more people you have, the worse chance you have of seeing a predator. There is more room for error when you bring friends along. I hunt solo for the most part.

Predator hunting is a learning process, and make sure that if you call in a predator that it gets shot (if possible). The last thing that you need are educated critters. If I'm going for fox, I typically start with a bird in distress or use a mice squeaker. I'll do that for a minute and then after a bit I'll use a "red fox pup distress" call and then I usually see some action.

The main things you have to worry about are being smelled or seen. It isn't hard to call in predators, but making a good shot without being noticed is the ticket.

good luck.

I had a spitfire and wasn't impressed. I spent the money on a firestorm and it works great!

I wouldn't say the wind has to be in your face. You just need to be able to see down wind of where you are calling. Cross wind often works better for approaching. Coyotes will often bed down wind of cover so walking into the wind they will see you on your approach.

Distress sounds work good, coyote vocals work in breeding season, and always end stands with coyote pup distress.

Mornings evenings and overnight seem best.

Seems like a lot of guys use bb or 4 buck for shotguns and limit to 50 yard shots. Just what I have read.

As Ranger said definitely a learning process. Lots of good info on the web just search.

Big learning cureve on these critters, you will most likley do it wrong before you do it right. Weather plays a big role in your success to IMO... If we get some tougher conditions, or at least somewhat decent snow, without TOO MUCH snow, night hunting will be good.

I would recommend a firestorm or fury. I have fury and am very happy with it, and have hunted behind a firestorm. I have not hunted behind a wildfire or spitfire so I cannot speak of them.

4 bk or BB or T yote loads

Never put yourself where they can wind you... they WILL wind you before you even get staterd.

Conceal conceal conceal... If you need to wrap a gun white, go to FF or TSC and get white vet wrap, Same stuff they sell at the hunting stores, just A LOT cheaper, and not "white camo"

Good luck and giver the berries!