• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icing Whitefish and Tulibees.

CruiserLaker

I love fishing Whitefish and Tuilibees when the Lakers arent biting. I know that freshwater shrimp and waxies work for them. Just wondering how I can improve my success this year when targeting winter Whitefish and Tulibees.. Any suggestions on lures or tactics on deep water lakes.... Thanks guys.

I've fished Tullibees in the spring right before ice out with pretty good success. I attach a shiny spoon anywhere from 6-12 inches above a jig tipped with a waxie and jig aggressively to get the spoon moving.

Thats pretty much how I've done it too for Tullibees, it worked very well.

We targeted Whitefish last spring in Canada with 1/4 oz wht/pink lead head jigs with a white Mr Twister Grub body, that was very effective for us, we were in 80 foot of water.

Fun fish to catch, under rated in my opinion.

Mike

I've never targeted whitefish but I have fished tullies a fair amount. The dropper system explained by the two previous posts has never worked for me for some reason. When tullies are aggressive I'll use a slender spoon tipped with a minnowhead or waxies on every hook. If they will chase the slender but won't hit throw on a tiny hair jig 1/100th or 1/64th tipped with a waxie or spike. The key with tullies is getting their attention. I'll do 8-10 foot jigs until I mark em then drop it a couple feet above em and they should chase right up to it. I have heard of guys bringing a long rope with sleigh bells and dropping it down the whole to ring em in. I've never tried that but when the bite is slow I'll use the slender to attract them in with giant jigs then drop the hair jig down to finish em.

One of the most fun fish to chase when you are on em IMO.

Up here at lake Simcoe our go to baits are the Williams Whitefish in Gold and or silver #60 . The Meegs jig it looks like the Lindy slick jig .We lay the lures on the bottom and pound them lift a few inches and do it again. A tip up with a two way rig and emerald shiners held a few feet off the bottom also produces, We don't target the Tulibees as there is presently a closed season . But they respond well to agressive jigging where they can be caught legally. We have a lot of large fish in the 10 pound range we generally use big baits.

Thats some great advice guys. I have never tried a minnow for whities, ill do that for shure next time. About those meegs jigs, I have heard of them working before. Does anyone know where I could get them in the Pine City area.? Thanks for all your help. I definitely agree with Mike that they are underated. Great fight and I Love smoking em up with some alder chips.