• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sealed batteries

3pronghook

Marcum LX5 new 2 years ago. Battery is shot. Anyone know if these batteries can be jump started back to life? Ive tried charging it off and on and nothing. 2 years seems very short lived. I had an old clearwater classic and that orange battery lasted 14 years.

does seem a bit short lived. Did you let it sit around with low to no charge for a while? Not keeping it charged decreases the life.

I've heard some things about "fixing" that problem with some sort of rescue charger or something.

When my batteries go, two years or ten years, I take a $20 bill to fleet farm.

i did leave it hooked up and it has that power indicator on it which evetually took it down to nothing. ive got a couple older spares i use in camera so ill start season with one of those before buying new. maybe try the 50 amp boost! JK Batteries plus colse to house, maybe they can test it. remember how much the werker battery is?

My original one didn't last more than a few years. part of the problem was my fault. I left the charger/battery indicator attached to the battery without it plugged in. Over the summer the indicator drained the battery and it was never the same after that.

I have a 2 or 3 year old Marcum LX-5 battery that won't run the flasher more than an hour right now. I take care of all my batteries (have many!), but it's nature of the beast with batteries. I've had some fail in a couple months or my record is 10 years with one.

I have noticed these small sealed 12V is if you leave them dead or drain them completely for some time good luck getting them to re-energize; I think I have a 0% record of saving one of these.

Time to go shopping. I know I am!

The information is correct most auto chargers will not kick in if they don't sense at least 10.5 volts. So the best bet would be to put it on a manual 1 amp charger for about six hours then see what it does. Batteries plus can test your battery for free, and they run a special for ice season!

Feel and watch the battery if it becomes hot disconnect it!

You are better off just getting a new battery.. they are on sale at Fleet Farm for $20.. That way you know you will be getting the most run time available when out on the ice. Next time just be more careful when putting away your gear for the off season. We've all made the same mistake.

I had the same problem with the battery that came with my LX-5. Had it 2 years and battery went bad. I charge battery after every use and several times in off season. Had a vex for years and only went through 2 batteries. I just blew it off and bought new battery.

Yep, disconnect it when not in use. The charger with the readout will drain it during the off season. Then it sits on your shelf for who knows how long without a charge and it becomes useless.

Not that batteries fault.

Last season, my original Marcum battery was still my best battery after six seasons. I've gone through two FF batteries in the same six years. I might have to check out batteries plus for the next version because I don't have any luck with FF batteries.

Marcum recommends you disconnect the battery during long term storage.

What happens is what your finding out, the battery drains and can't be brought back.

KLCOLT1911, if you have a way to bring these batteries back please share.

what i have done in the past is use a jumpstart pack and get the voltage up so the charger will kick on then charge it at 2 amps for 8-12 hours, its not a sure thing that it will come back but it has worked for me, if the battery froze its junk get a new one, but if its just discharged its worth a shot worst that can happen is you have to but a new one, also in the off season i have a 950ma automatic charger and i alternate between my two batteries once a month of so.