• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX6 first impressions?

fisherman-andy

I picked the LX6 up yesterday at the show. Some of the guys I fish with already have the LX7 and were swaying me to go with the larger screen LX7 instead.

Spent some minor time last night playing with the settings and screen and comparing it to the likes of display view available from a mechnical flasher which I felt is similiar. I must admit I dont have the greatest eye sight either. But also felt comfortable with it so far. May have to let it sink in and play with it for a week or two. Keep the LX6 or return it for the LX7 which is easier on the eyes?

If you hole hop a bunch I think you're going to appreciate the smaller unit. Just a hunch. I've never fished with the 7 but the shear size of it makes me cringe when I think about hole hopping.

It appears bulky due to the screen size but the weight difference is almost non-existent between the LX6 and 7.

Take your advice that you gave everyone else regarding the new Black Betty reel!

LOL, im just going to laugh this off as obviously your "butt hurt" if your gonna start this here with me. You must like trolling threads? If you didnt like my opinion too bad. Im not new to the Marcum scene or seeing time with the LX7 on the hardwater last season already. Nor am I bashing the quality of a product here over the likes of other brands or comparisons.

Read my original post about me saying imma gonna let it sink for a couple weeks before making the decision to return it if wanting the larger screen (return policy time frame). Spending $30-$100 on an inline reel to me is an easier decision to make. Spending $600+ requires a little more detail and attention dont you think? And yes I dont have a problem deciding to keep unit instead and selling it next year if it does turn out that dont like it the smaller screen. Heck ive already sold my VX1, LX3tc, LX5 units already. If I do sell it someone will only end up with a sweet flasher deal.

i got a 7 this year and hole hopping does not seem bad to me at all. and like some one said there isn't a big weight difference most of the weight is the battery. and iv read on different threads people saying it is "acward" but i don't think it is the handle works great , it would be nice if there was a handle on the case for when it is closed tho

Not too many people hole-hop and move more than me... not once last winter did I think I was hindered by the 7, lol...

Love the screen on that thing. Looking forward to adding the 6 to the team also grin

Sounds good. I guess that's the only reason I'd shy away from the 7 -- so iffin there's no issues there, then otherwise for all intents and purposes the bigger screen should be better. Any idea what the battery life difference would be between the 6 and the 7?

It's interesting why Marcum decided to come out with the LX-6 so soon after the LX-7 came out. It's usually not a good idea to have so many similar models that the consumer just ends up confused. For example, the iPad mini. Normally companies would not put something like that out because it jeopardizes sale from the normal iPad. But Apple had to to head off other competitors who were coming out with tablets that size.

But back to Marcum, there is no other competition for what they are doing right now. So it is curious why they came out with the LX-6 right now. I have a feeling eventually the LCD-based flashers is where the market will be heading in the future so eventually it may be the only thing out there, but that is a ways off.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat. Thinking about the LX-6 for the size, but when you are spending that much, and the price difference isn't that much between the 6 and 7, you think, well I might as well go all the way or else I'll regret it. If the 6 was down under $500, it's a different story.

I bought a 7 at the show this weekend. I too went back and forth between the 6 and 7 but ended up going for the 7 because at the show I got it for $50 more than the 6 (Paid $600) and because I like the bigger screen.

They had a demo at the Marcum booth, it was a 7 with a lithium battery, alot lighter than the reg. battery!! Might have to upgrade in the future!!

I plan on going ice fishing next weekend. I hole-hop a fair amount and right now I dont think the weight or the bulk will bother me but I dont like the handle, it needs to be higher!! I like to hold the unit and a rod in the same hand and then a bucket in the other hand, I dont think I will be able to do that with the handle so low. So I think I'm going to build my own carrier, the only question is to try it first or just modify right away??

I've seen those lithium batteries around. The lightweight factor makes them look like they'll be the cat's meow in a couple years. It's just a matter of getting that cost down a bit and letting them work out any cold-weather issues with them.

I have had a LX-5 since they came out. I have loved it and feel it is superior to The vexilars. My Gripes have been I want a flat screen and a bigger screen. I want a zoom that I don't have to reset everytime I fire it up. I have never been a Vexilar guy. However I like their screen, and simplicity of their functions. I have to give it to MarCum as the LX-7 and LX-6 are technically advanced. I however am not sold on them. I like that they are upgradable. But talk about confusing. Way too many menus etc... I want to upgrade my flasher, not to something better but newer. IMHO the LX-6 screen gets smaller than the LX-5 and the LX-7 is way too big. What about Battery life. Seems like the LX-7 would eat batteries up before the day is done fishing. This leads me to almost go down the Vexilar route.

iv fished sun up to sun down with my 7 and still had half battery, iv never not charged it to see what ill get out of it the next day but on another thread i heard some one say it lasted them 2 days at LOW before he needed to charge it. and i wouldn't shy away from it because of all the menus unless you played with it at the store and didn't get it but most of them you just click it and pick on or off(like the diif viewing modes) ,or adjust it 1-10 (like your sensitivity or I.R.) its a pretty simple set up this is my first flasher and i got it after a hour of fiddling with it