• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice :)

TrapMan13

edit: I hope the 2 inches today and the 4-6 inches this weekend doesn't put a huge damper on the ice-making. That much snow on just a few inches of ice can really insulate the heck out of it, making it a long process to thicken up.

If we get as much as they are talking about we will be in some serious trouble, the little ice there is can't take than much weight.

Well we'd be in better shape, technically, if you are right and the ice couldn't take that much weight. Unfortunately I think you overestimate how much 6 inches of snow weighs. It's not very much, per square inch. A pretty thin layer of ice can hold quite a bit of insulating snow.

If the ice breaks up and the snow gets waterlogged/melted and then freezes, we'll be better off. But, if the ice can hold it, then that 6 inches of fluffy snow on the top is going to make for some pretty long waits for thick ice. Especially under any drifts. Grrrr.

I grew up fishing the minnesota river just south of bellplaine. Nothing fazed me then. We fished the river year round. we rarely fished lakes back then. now i would never step foot on the Mn. Lost 2 friends in a five year span that way. One was a close friend from blakey in 73, and another from shakopee in 78... The ice was nearly a foot thick then on both occasions. But with our knowledge of the river we knew it was only a matter of time.

JackPine, I grew up in the exact same area. Just wondering if I know you or your family? Tried to PM you but you were over your message storage limit. By the years you mentioned, I think you might be a little older than me. Small world on these forums! PM me if you can.