• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl report 10/15

Hey all,
Just a quick note: I'll be closing the previous weeks threads in order to get the current threads active.
Now for the report-
Hunted with Duck-O-Holic on Friday in a small private slough near Lac Qui Parle. I could not believe how many ducks were in the area, seemed that every pothole was full of mallards, widgeon, gadwall and teal. As for the hunt, we did well, coming up 2 short of a limit by 10am.
Saturday and Sunday we hunted around the Willmar area. Saturday we set up for a SW wind which was forecast....big mistake. The wind actually came up out of the NW making our location obsolete. We then picked up and moved to a more favorable location. No more than 10 minutes after getting into our new spot, flocks of mallards started to pour into the lake, and every flock came right into us. By noon with 8 mallards and a teal in our boat, we decided to call it a day and headed to shore.
Sunday was a completely different story. There were not nearly as many ducks in the area compared to Saturday. What we need is a strong storm to hit Canada and get the birds moving. Very few of the ducks that are around right now are new arrivals, which is evident by the way that the birds are call and decoy shy.
>"////<

Had to work over the weekend frown.gif Did get out Thursday by myself, and with Gull on Friday. Thursday was only average, so I packed up earlier than normal to scout. Found where the birds wanted to be, and brought Gull there the next morning. Friday there seemed to be a lot more birds around. Saw a lot of newly arrived geese around the LQP area as well. Was hoping the bad weather forcast for the weekend would be a major push of new birds into the area, but this obviously didn't happen-- no snow frown.gif

Hope to get out a couple of days during the week this week. I'll post what I'm seeing. Heard from a reliable source that there are also a lot of birds around the Leech Lake area! Might be time to get out the diver dekes!!

Good Gunnin'

Duck-o-holic

Spent the last four days in North Dakota. Many ducks but not very many migrants. Saw a few geese move in on Sunday so maybe the migration is starting. Great rooster hunting also. A lot of young birds that probably wont last the winter. Probably manage to get a hunt in Sunday out of the New London-Spicer area. Hope to hear some reports.

There was many new ducks and geese in the Alexandria area on Sunday. On Saturday we shot mallards, teal, and honkers. We saw only two flocks of divers on Saturday. Sunday was a completely different story. We ended up shooting cans, red heads, ringnecks, and a snow goose ( must have been lost). We had Flocks of divers buzzing the decoys until noon and even after that when we were picking up the decoys. Will be going up Thursday thru Sunday, should be some good shooting coming up. Good Luck!!