• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can am?

Dahitman44

i have the outlander 500 ex or something like that. its a 4 x4 2 up seat and love it. had a yamahammer before. this can-am kicks butt. overpriced????? ya get what ya pay for...........i thought the yamahas where high priced also and the dealer i bought the can-am from also sold yamahammers to!!!

hope this helps.

Personally I like the Can Ams from a performance aspect they haul the mail. With that said, I am leary about the frame issues and I have ridden with them and seen it happen first hand.

Just look at the first pic, that is the back bone for entire quad and there is nothing to it. Its a no brainer why they have issues. You put that quad in stock form through any type of abuse or hard riding of course its going to bend.

here is the stock frame:

can_am_frame_mod.jpg

here is what is what most of the can-am die hards do to reinforce them:

can_am_frame_mod2.jpg

Thinking about switching over Hitman?

My neighbor has a 500 outlander, and I've driven it, and it's ok. But like what was said earlier, I just don't think the price you have to pay is worth it. Not only are they expensive to drive off the showroom floor, but when it comes time for maintenance be prepared to open up the wallet again. I know my neighbor had to put a new belt on his and the bill was like $300 and the place down there in Hawleywood on highway 10. He of course thinks his machine is superior to mine because it cost more and always says the same thing, "you get what you pay for". We both have plows for the snow and I can say that the plow on my sportsman is MUCH easier to take off and put on. He has to crawl under the machine and put pins in when he takes his off and on.

I'm sure people will disagree, but in my opinion, not worth the money when others will deliver the same performance and apparently have a better frame too...

I went form Honda to Can Am a few years ago. the Honda is still running and probably will be in another 10 years but it is not in the same catagory as the new 800 Max I have now. The things out perform others I have ridden with and we have had no issues with quality to this point. One is a 2009 Renegade 500 for my son and as I said mine is a 2008 800 max. I use tracks on it in the winter and rum oversized tires for summer. We have ridden for home in Northern MN and in the mountains of wyoning and montana. So far no issues. they do have a computer that tracks maint. and needs to be reset by the dealer but we just keep track and change our own oil etc so that is a little anoying but I can deal with it. Buddies run 800 sportsmens and Kawasakis and I can wax them any day of the week, even my sons 500 renegade will pull away from them up to about 45 or 50 and then the extra power of the larger 750 or 800 will start to pull away slowly. They may be a bit more but I think it was worth it for me. Good luck. Try them all and buy the one that fits you and the way you use it best. I do not think that you can go wrong with any of the big three made.

I've seen those pics of the modified frames on the Can Am and I believe they have since updated to a new frame from the original SST.

From past experience on Can Am/Bombardier, they usually out power the competition, are faster and have more electrical problems than other brands. Again this is only based on my experience. Would I buy another? Absolutely.

Eyehunter --

How have you been man?

Ya I am looking to sell my 04 400 sportsman

I've been good. I'm hoping to get a little more time on the ice this year. My house never even left the yard last year. I bought an '08 500 sportsman a couple of years ago and have only used it on the ice a handful of times so looking forward to getting out there. We'll have to get together sometime this year out there and have a couple. You know where to find me. Haven't been to my old stand-by lake in a couple of years, but now since there's a new access down there I might have to at least try it out, thinking a different spot on the lake though. I suppose the rest of Clay County will be out there too now since there's a nice access.

I have 08 Outlander 800. Bought with 100 miles and have about 500 now. No issues other than electronic fuel gauge stopped working. I use mostly for ice fishing and plowing. It plows an amazing amount of snow if your using chains, and tows my 3500lb house quite easily. Most impressive thing it ever did was pull my house up a pretty steep slope in low gear, couldnt believe it did it. Along with impressive torque is its top speed, it accelerates to 80mph in the drop of a hat. Very fun! Only thing I wish it had was power steering, thats a great feature and would never buy a new wheeler without that option. I would like to get some apache tracks but you gotta drop 3 grand on them... Hope this helps, now pull the trigger!