• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning muzzle loader ??

I think the most important thing is to be in the mood to do a good job. It can be a bit of a chore especially the first few times learning your gun.

I use triple 7 powder and just use hot water for everything and a bit of elbow grease. You won't go wrong using some dawn. After getting all the powder residue off I put some very light oil on it. After the water I towel dry and usually air dry to make sure no water remains in the nooks and crannies, my "bolt" has a spring in it that's hard to get to.

I always take a pin, pipe cleaner or something and make sure that spark hole is clean too.

There are lots of good ways to clean your muzzleloader. Get the bad stuff out, make sure your gun is dry, protect your bore with a good gun oil. I swab with alchohol before shooting the gun the next time to get the oil out of the bore. Bore butter is pretty far down my list of good metal protectants.

If you use BH 209 you will want to use a similar cleaner to what you use in your centerfires rather than soap and water.

When im done for the season with it i stick the barrel in pail of soapy warm water an with the boar brush clean it back an forth till it whistles then dry patch an boar butter an good dose of gun oil. dump out the pail an have a beer. be in the mood to do a thuro job is a good piece of advise.

The best way to eliminate muzzeloader cleaning problems is to get rid of triple 7 pellets or pryodex, also those triple 7 primers are real dirty ,the best thing ive found was to shoot blackhorn 309 powder, i would say youre gun is at least 85 %cleaner minimun,you dont have swab between shots, dont have to use water or water based cleaners ,you have to use hopps, also no more than 120 grains as this is equal to 150 grains of pellets or powder.