• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this considered Milky? (pic attached).

Hoffer

Changed Lower unit oil.

Most years I wouldnt have even noticed this I dont think.

However, I had the engine in the back of the garage with very little light....so I shined the flashlight in the oil catcher and did notice some "milky" looking ribbons coming out.

I took a picture and the flash really illuminates it. Just looking at it regulary in the daylight - it doesnt look too bad. Just kind of a small film on top...very small.

But was wondering if this may indicate an issue?

Thanks-

Hoffer full-4899-26313-lowerunit.jpg

It looks like there was a little water in there. Is it something to worry about? I doubt it, probably from condensation. Milky is just as it describes, looks like colored milk.

Did you run the motor (in gear) at all before draining it? I may change my opinion if you hadn't. It could have settled out and milkyness pretty much disappears after a day or two.

OK.

Thanks guys.

Like I said, had it been changed out in the sunlight I think it would have looked to me like every other time I had changed it.

But with the flashlight in the dark, I think it illuminated it a lot more and made it really look weird.

However, I do think there may be a small amount of water. Probably nothing to worry about. However, it does surprise me as the summer before last I had the lower unit repaired with all new seals and everything.