• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyote 101

OK guys.. thinking our little piece of farmland has a coyote problem. Haven't seen much for pheasants this year and we hear them howling all around the farmhouse in the evening. Western MN. There is a large pile of brush and dead trees nearby and I know my father in-law has been shooting raccoons and the coyotes are finding the bodies.

What are some options here? Prefer not to use traps as we have hunting dogs.

If you live here this is what I would suggest... I would set a bait pile, I usually set up a couple every year... I usually take our deer scraps after processing our seasons kill, and then after slug season winds down and temps drop off I try to find a couple car killed deer. If you find one on the rd all you need to do is call state patrol as a non emergency and have them get you in touch with a local CO, or a nearby sheriff deputy to get you a tag for the critter. Set that out, Possibly put a Q tip of calling scent on it (I think cavens skunk junk is what I have, but would have to look at it) Place this in a area visible from the house... Mine is 110 paces from my garage window. I did set a trail cam on mine last year, and if you get them patterned, sit and watch on full moon nights with snow...

Anything they eat will work for your bait pile... but once they get on to it, you'll want it to last awhile...

You could set up with a call and try that... but once they see that trick once, they likely will not fall for it again... so if possible, a little patience with a rifle over a bait pile can be very productive... might be surprised whats coming in for lunch! Always check it when ya pee at night too... and give the wifey a heads up... or she may put an end to your blasting out the window in a Hurry!

Good Luck!