• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

newbie blind question

wannafish2

Hey all, I am a 3rd year bowhunter and I am looking for your advice. I seem to get busted every time I try to draw. I know that will come with practice, but in addition, I would like to add a little mobility to my set up. I am wondering which blind is the best for bowhunting. Since I'm still a rookie, I get my best groupings when I am standing up, which makes it hard in a tree stand anyway to get my feet placed right so I feel comfortable with my aiming and everything so the added space of a blind I think will help with that and hiding my draw. I use Rage broadheads, but have a lower draw weight (I'm female too) - so, what blind is the best for a bowhunter who needs to get 'em in close, uses a mechanical broadhead and wants shoot thru windows that I can maybe stand up in to shoot and still blend in? Oh, and priced between $200-$300.....

I suggest you practice a lot from a chair for a while and get comfy shooting sitting or standing. Cut on impact heads will be best if you decide to shoot thru mesh. Maybe a Magnus Stinger or something like that. Most of the deer I have taken I am sitting in a treestand and a few while sitting in a chair by a tree or brush. I don't like the blinds. Hard to see my pins and I can see or hear around me as well. Good luck!

It's definetly much easier to shoot a deer from a treestand.

Blinds sound like a nice easy, movable, quick set up solution, but there are huge drawbacks. The biggest, deer can pick out a newly set up blind MUCH quicker than you can imagine. You really need to set it up well in advance of your hunt, or spend a lot of time and effort to brush it in and make it look like the surrounding vegitation.

Also like eyeguy said, you can't see very well, or hear very well, and it gets dark in there well before legal time is up, making it impossible to see your pins.

Fixed blade broadheads are a much better option for shooting through the mesh than any mechanicals. (You say you have a lower draw weiight, fixed blade would probably be a better idea for you anyway.)

That being said, Ive shot several deer from a blind. You still need to very careful with scent control, and movement. The best blind I've hunted from is a Double Bull Darkhorse.

You may be better off buying a good, lightweight climber. Set it where there is something behind you to break your sillouette.

The art of drawing on a whitetail from a treestand is best learned from experience, but make sure the deer is moving, or looking away, or behind a tree. Try to draw on every deer that comes in range, just for the practice.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Just looked up the "Hidden Draw Blind". Although it sounds like a good idea, it looks like a lot of cr@p to drag through the woods. Hard enough just getting your bow through the brush at times.

Great advice above. Ground blinds have their place, but treestands are a better option the vast majority of the time, IMO. Pay attention to DonBo's advice on when to draw. In particular, try to set you stand up in a place where if a deer comes where it should, it'll go behind something that'll let you draw your bow (a blowdown, a large tree, brush, etc). Then, like DonBo suggests practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

I really like blinds and have had far more success from them than from treestands. Probably because I use them more! Ha. That said, I have never been busted on the draw but I usually only have one window open, sometimes just a small slit and I wear all black from the waste up and paint my face black and brown camo. You can't have too many windows open or they'll silhoutte you. I like my Groundmax Escape Deluxes. They advertise them as being able to stand and shoot but I shoot sitting. Another option is a ghillie. Marc Anthony makes one suit specifically for bowhunters I am looking at for next year (well under $200). This is a guy who's taken nearly 2 dozen P&Y bucks from the ground. His advice for not getting busted on the draw is to simply sit tight and wait til they pass you and then draw and shoot. smile

I have shot 4 deer from a treestand this year and I had to raise my bow and draw on them all while they were within 20yds of me. This is not impossible nor does it require ninja skills.

Practice moving slowly and have your bow set at a weight that you can drawn comfortably. For a couple of my deer I had to stand up and turn. Again, this can be done if the deer are not alerted. Use cover to your advantage and move when the deer isn't looking. Even just putting their head down to eat is enough. Draw when you can.

In order to get comfortable from a stand you have to practice. Unless you are 5ft tall you will not be able to shoot sanding up in a blind so you will have to learn new techniques. Frankly I think shooting from a sitting position is easier. It all takes practice.