• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

chain case problems

minnesota mac

I have a 98 xc 600 just looking thing things over and noticed that the chain case dip stick was loose. Pulled it out and it is all melted and about 3 inches left to the stick. I put abou 200 miles on total, what I was wondering should the bearings and chain should be replaced. This will be my project tomarow night to take it apart and get the parts list ready for the dealer the next day.

Mac,
I have a 96 Ultra and my chain actually broke. Had to replace the chain, the two gears, and the secondary. It sounds like your's got pretty hot, was it out of oil? I would definitly take the cover off and check the chain and the bearings, the gears are probably ok. Make sure you keep the case full of oil and keep the chain tightned. Tip on the tightness of the chain, loosen the jam nut and hand tighten the bolt, then turn on the secondary to take up the slack on the other side of the gears then hand tighten the bolt again.

Cheers.