• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Engine overheating?

cashcrews

Hi guys,

I've got a 1991 Polaris Indy Lite, 340cc fan-cooled. I picked this machine up a few years back, strictly for ice fishing use. I've primarily used it for 1 to 3 mile trips out onto the lake and back--with a loaded otter sled, but usually nothing real taxing.

Last weekend, I went to Canada with some other guys, and pulled the fully-loaded otter sled (plus myself at 250+ lbs.)through 8 miles (each way) of deeper snow and lots of slushy areas. The other guys didn't have any problems, but my engine would eventually begin to bog down, and I'd smell oil as I was driving. I'd stop the machine, wait about 15 minutes, then continue on to my destination. When I start up again a few hours later, it runs fine for the first few miles, and then the bogging starts up again--same symptoms everytime.

Do you think there's a problem of some type, or is it that the small fan-cooled engine isn't up to the job under those tougher conditions?

Cashcrews

I'm not an expert mechanic but I'd start by making sure the airway is clear and there isn't any mice nests or anything preventing air from flowing across the cooling fins. Just curious, but what was the temperature outside when it was doing this? I have a 440 fan cooled and although it's a bigger motor than your 340 I don't have any problems until the temps get into the 40's and it's been run pretty hard. I'd also check the condition of your drive belt. It could be that it may be slipping under the greater load and that heating or burning could have been the oil smell that you describe. Good luck. Post back with any findings.