• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping opener

Kyle

Well, tomorrow is the first season opener and I will be setting traps for the first time in my life. I'll be setting 1 dozen 160 conibears, 3 dog proof traps, and scouting the rest of the day for the muskrat opener. I'm sure coon isn't prime yet, but if I get a few I'll just keep the fur as a keepsake. I'm pretty excited. Next weekend I'll be setting 6 mink boxes, 2 doz 1.5coils, 3 dozen 110's, and 1 doz 120's. CANT WAIT! Good luck everyone! Let's get some pics posted right away too!

put out 15 traps. Could have put out more, but I'm still learning so I'll see how successful I am with this first attempt, and will hopefully have some patterns down by the time fur gets prime.

Well I had 3 nice big coons in traps today. I set three different kinds; 1.5jump, 160 conibears, and dog-proof traps. I ended up getting a coon in each of the styles of traps, which I thought was pretty cool. I'll post some pics later. Felt good to have some action!

15 coon and 3 skunk on first check. Had to pull will reset on Tuesday or Wed depending on when I get back from work.

Dp are hard to beat in terms of speed and coon catching abitlity. I can find a trail and put in two dps in under 5 min and off to the next spot.

You can't do that with dirtholes and even fairly tough with conibears unless you have good trails.

had 3 coon first check, now this morning nothing. Is this common or should I chock this up as a hint to move my traps? I have mostly blind sets with conibears. 2 days and only 1 out of 12. I want to figure out where to shift my efforts early rather than later.

Coon traps should be pulled after the 3rd or 4th check depending on how the first couple go. If you set hard wack them and move on.

Sometimes they have moved off the food and the trails just look good.

Coon are not hard to get, it takes plenty of spots and plenty of traps with the short season we get up here to rack up numbers, and a little drive. The speed and ease of dps make them my choice for dry coon.