• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used bow buying

HandGunner

So i sold my bow and all now i regret it. But now i get to buy a newer bow! I remember seeing a PSE i think Omen at cabelas at the bargain section were everything is at low price and all you see are return items that are selling for cheap. I like the omen for its speed but also hear bad things about it. Really all im looking for are good brands and models to choose from and at what price range should they go for used bare bow or with extras. Looking to spend a max of $500 i guess i havnt been in the archery scene for a while so bear with me.

For $500 you should be able to buy a decent new bow set up. I would not buy a used bow more than 5 years old. You should be able to pick up a higher end used bow for that price. I think there is apoint you reach when buying a new lower end bow makes more sense than buying an old technology big name bow. The technology has changed a lot in the last 5 years and even more in the last 10. I think many of your lower end new bows are as good or better than the old technology big name bows. I would look for a new fred bear or matthews mission bow or used bowtech, matthews, or hoyt within the last 5 years. I don't know anything about PSE bows. I have never shot one. You need to go to a pro shop and shoot some bows, new and used if they have them. Always lots of good late model used bow setups on clist for that price.

I agree. That's about what my Diamond Outlaw cost fully set up with all the accessories last year. All the major manufacturers make good solid bows in this range. Just visit the local pro shop. If you can spend $500, I would, versus trying to go on price or something cheaper as you could be shooting this bow for many years to come. Good luck.

Im looking at trying to find the higher end models but from a few years ago for instance the PSE Omen high end in 2009 when it first came out now its been beating obviously but still makes a high end bow for cheap Im just trying to see what ones I can find that wont break the bank soo much a bang for your buck type deal. I like the PSE grips and balance thats why I been looking at the Omen, plus its fast! Should I be worried about buying a return from cabelas bargain section of all returned items at low price? If I remember correctly the PSE Omen was going for $300 somwhere around there

I just bought a Bear legion and I love it compared to other bows I have shot. I have shot every brand just to make sure I was happy with what i got and for the money at $499 ready to shoot it was a great deal.

Go to a shop with a range and shoot a few bows. See what you like and go from there. If you tell them your price range they should be able to stay under $500. If you decide you can get a better deal on a used one online, go for it. In a couple of months they archery department really slows down and I'm sure they are willing to deal little more. Another option is local pawn shops, but that is definitely a buyer beware option.

I am rookie, and got a $500 r2h year and half ago (Diamond Rock 2.0) from online place. It wasn't top of line, but it sure shoots nice and has features that some 2 or 3 yo "better" bows did not have. The accessories were ok but top of the line, but for me, they work for now. Best thing, I got everything I needed to actually shoot and HUNT for $500 total, including shipping and tax.

I will say I had to have a buddy help me adjust the drop away Apache a bit after I messed it up a bit, but it was pretty close right out of the box. So plan some adjustment regardless.

I still haven't released on a living creature, hoping maybe this weekend smile I would not be afraid of online places though, worked well for me. I have gotten some better broadheads since.

You really need to go and shoot some bows. You can get a darn nice set up for what you want to spend, might be used, might be new. What it comes down to is you need to go find what feels good to you.

I was all set to buy a fred bear when the guy at the pro shop told me to try the Matthews, there was enough of a difference that I broke down and bought the matthews. However, I'm sure had I bought the fred bear, I would have been very happy with it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It just didn't feel as good to me as the Switchback.

Bill winke wrote a good book that talks about selecting a bow in his book "how to setup the perfect hunting bow" if you can get a hold of one. It mainly comes down to how it shoots for you. I second the need to go to a pro shop and shoot whatever they have until you find the one that shoots well for you. I have hunted with two used bows and they work(ed) great. I really made sure the cams weren't screwed up. I have seen a few bows returned because they couldn't get them tuned. Come to find out the one of the cams was leaning.

Just bought myself a used bow this fall. Had been shooting PSE and Bear up to this point, now I bought an Elite. Best bow I have ever shot. The back wall on these bows is incredible. Smooth and quiet. More than anything, it really comes down to what is most comfortable for you to shoot. Which bow consistently puts you in the bullseye, giving you the confidence so that when it comes down to it, you can put your arrow right where it needs to be and dispatch the animal as quickly as possible. The only way to figure that out is to shoot, and shoot a lot of different bows.

I read an article on shooting more accurate, now im no olypian archer but I have been in archery club throughout highschool, small group so we learned a ton about shooting form and such. It states that the taller bows are more forgiving than the shorter compact ones and shooting a flatter trajectory is a must but then it has its trade offs, in general I got out of it saying taller bow more forgiving faster bow theres trade offs. Mainly I force myself to shoot comfterble I have all til next fall to learn a new bow. Main point being Im just really looking for a fast shooter that does not break the bank but open to the inbetweens when it comes to speed and performance/quality. I check out some diamonds combo but last time I shot one from a kid in archery club (youth/adult combo) the shortness and compactness of the bow as the article stated really was a tough shooter.