• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bogging at mid rpms

Dennis Steele

I have an 89 polaris indy 500.I finnaly got the chance to run her yesterday with all the snow we got in the cities.
She ran fine for the first 10 minutes then for the next half hour she would bog at 35 to 4000 rpms.I was beggining to wonder if I was going to make it home.If I opened up the throttle all the way she was fine.
One other thing that happened was the the idle speed was around 3000 rpms and couldn't get her down to the normal 2000 idle speed.
So do I have bad gas?(snicker smile.gif)
Can a guy use some of those carb cleaner products on a two cycle?

Sounds like you were busting powder and sucked snow into the carbs and froze them up. My sled had a broken rubber boots that connected the air box to the carbs. Any leak or crack in the rubber will suck in snow and screw everything up.

I barely made it home one day when this happened, lucky I didn't seize the engine....

Thaw the engine out somehow, check the rubber boots and see if that was an issue.

Good luck!

Hmmmm
I don't know if I was busting any snow banks,just went for a little trail ride.
I did however leave the sled uncovered and we got 8" of snow.It took 15 minutes to get her dug out.Alot of snow did get under the hood while digging her out.I'll check the intake stuff.

That same thing happened to me. Everything was fine and then total bog down, zero power, lots of smoke (from oil). For me it usually happened on looseish snow, but sometimes on teh trail. I just got my sled used and the boots between carb and air box are cracked. I really did not think there would be that much snow getting kicked around when I was riding, but who knows. The advise from the pros here was carbs. On Sunday I'm tearing down the carbs, but also while I am at it new fuel pump, new plugs, new gas (although by now most of what was in it when I got it shoudld be gone) and new rubber boot thing as soon as it comes in. I put in sea foam but nothing changed. Unfortunately, since we have no snow in IL right now, I will never know which of the above was the real cause (assuming it goes away) since I will have changed all kinds of things all at once. I just hope it runs good for Jan when I go to our place near Vermilion. Hopefully we will get some snow in IL by then, but I am not counting on it.

Ken

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota

[This message has been edited by Captain Ken (edited 12-10-2003).]

"I did however leave the sled uncovered and we got 8" of snow.It took 15 minutes to get her dug out.Alot of snow did get under the hood while digging her out.I'll check the intake stuff."

Bingo! I'm willing to bet you sucked snow into the carbs with all that snow blowing around under the hood while driving. You need to find a heated garage, then get a cover, fishhead! grin.gif