• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slug Barrel Question

I'm completely new to slug hunting, deer hunting in general, and will be going with the future father-in-law. I've hunted birds all my life with my Remington 870 and Winchester 1300. I will be using my Remington, however due to finances I would like to hold off on buying an actual slug barrel until next year. My question is can I use my regular barrel to shoot slugs through, do I need a certain choke or slug? Any advice on which way I should go? I just don't want the gun or barrel to become damaged. Thanks!

it will work just keep youre shots under 75 yards,modified choke is best if youre gun is older and has a fixed choke,you need a foster style slug, one that has grooves in it,sabots wont work you need rifling to get em to spin.some foster slugs are remington slugger,winchesters,federal and brennike my 870 likes brennike,

Yes you can definitely use your smooth bore barrel for deer. You will need to buy foster style slugs or non sabot slugs. I would suggest either the federal true balls or the brennekes. Some slugs shoot better in some guns than others. You may also want to pick up a box of winchester and remingtons to see what shoots the best. You will be limited in your distance, and being new to deer hunting, I would try and limit my shots to about 50 yards. You should have a choke no tighter than modified, although many people with fixed full choke barrels can still accurately shoot slugs, I would prevent it if I could. Hope that helps.

I liked remington trubal slugs when I used my smooth barren 12 gauge. Good for me out to 50-70 yards. I used the modified choke. This deer was shot at about 35 yards. The barrel is covering up the entry hole. The blood trail was easy to follow.

full-29355-25238-deer1024.jpg