• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Bow?

deerminator

So I've been thinking about getting my son (8) a bow since he's had fun shooting the Fred Bear Scout model in the backyard and the Mini Genesis compounds they had at Scout Camp this summer. I thought about slightly upgrading and then going to something even more in a few years as he develops interest and strength. I stopped by one of the local pro shops to see what they had and they have a range of different bows but the worker who helped me got really excited about the Diamond Infinite Edge. He showed me how you could adjust the draw length and the draw weight can go from 5 to 70 pounds.

So that got me to exploring other similar models from other manufacturers that advertise their bows as youth to adult as well. I'm leaning toward going that route with such a versatile bow versus one that will only last a few more years. I'm thinking, if he doesn't really like it, that at least I'd have a bow that my daughter (5) or wife might be interested in using and could serve as my back-up.

Anyone have any perspective on youth bows?

All the youth and ladies I have got into archery have been happy with the diamond razor edge. I'm not saying it is the only bow to buy their are also others like the mission line of bows. The new infinity edge is what I will be buying my daughter who is 6 in a week or so. She will never out grow it and I will keep it as a back up because you can set it up for anyone. Also another bow that is great is the Alpine mako,it is desingned for bowfishing but also a great shooting bow with lots of adjustment this is what we use for our tournement bows.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go with one of those youth to adult ones for the reasons mentioned. Might wait til the spring for warm weather, though there is a local indoor range/league for kids/adults. A little bit more than I was planning to spend - most are in the $300 range for packages - but this will last and I can use some mileage checks from work on it.

I have a Mission Craze for my daughters. They are 10 and 12yrs old and we have had the bow for a year. MY 10yr old is now capable of shooting at 30lbs. She shoots this bow and loves it.

I like that I can make all the adjustments at home and as needed since kids grow so fast I was able to make the needed changes to her bow as her strength developed. It is still an adult quality bow, not a "kids bow". That means I can adjust this bow to shoot for me and I like having it as a backup bow or as my turkey bow in the spring. That is until my girls start doing that with me too. wink